N941WR

Legacy Member
Now that we know the cheapest RV built, how about the lightest?

Let's hear what model you have, engine prop combination and finally how much your empty weight is.

This was prompted by Brent Mayo?s O-290 powered RV-9 (yes, it?s a tail dragger!) that came in at 998 lbs.

Not even close

The lightest is a RV-4 at 874lbs :eek:
Followed by a 980lb RV-6 and 990 lb RV-6A

Well it is the lightest RV-9, since I have not seen any RV-9's finished yet.
Nice job keeping it light. (fairings? interior? paint? night? prop?)

Min weight for all 115 RV models I looked at (RV-3 not included):
RV-4... 874
RV-6... 980
RV-6A. 990
RV-7... 1011
RV-7A. 1020
RV-8... 1035
RV-8A. 1032
RV-9A. 1034

The fat award goes to a RV6 at 1244 lbs.
For a complete list of all the weights look at my post "Weight of Rv's" in these forums:

Cheers George :D

Last edited:
Duhhhh, I missed that post

Brent's -9 is a QB and his interior is just seats and foward carpet. Wood prop and I have no idea what his panel looks like.

I suspect the -7's & -9's will all weigh in a bit more than a comparable -6 because they simply bigger. (Longer)

RV-4
Day/night VFR, no gyros
Basic flight instruments
MicroMonitor
Micro Air Radio and Transponder
O320-D2A Aerosport Power Lycoming
Catto Prop
Landoll Harmonic Balancer
No paint

876 lbs

History

OK,,,, I'm dated,

Ken Kruger built the lightest RV6. It WAS cool!! RED, Hockey puck for a tail Wheel!! 0-320,,,... he IS, my insperiation for RV's
You NewBEEs should've seen it. You $100,000 guys won't ever get it.

Last edited:
RV-7, IO-360, CS Prop, Paint, Upholstery - 1069 lbs, verified with brand new certified aircraft scales. I'm sure its not the lightest -7, but I'm happy with the weight.

Kevin Horton said:
Certified scales, or bathroom scales?
My thoughts exactly. Ruggles scales are notoriously inaccurate. They are nothing more than cheap bathroom scales with better press. Thinking that the first set of scales we bought were defective, we sent them back for exchange. Every time I moved the a/c onto the second set of Ruggles scales that our EAA Chapter bought over a 6 month period, I got a different reading. Sometimes the numbers varied wildly. I ended up weighing my plane TEN times over a two day period and then averaging the numbers out. Every person who has used the scales reports the same thing.

Certified scales are the true standard and unless a given builder had his plane weighed on CERTIFIED scales, I shall always regard the declared weight to be highly suspect.