BuckWynd

Well Known Member
After wrestling with the F-810A aft bulkhead on the RV-8 (a QB part that many people discover simply doesn't fit right), I have decided to fabricate my own replacement bulkhead.

Can anyone tell me what tool might be used to create the stamped "stiffener ring" around the lightening hole in the enter of the part? I searched the archive and didn't find anything.

F810.jpg

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited:
The EAA website...

...recently showed how to do this. Check the Videos for Homebuilders...hint of the week, and under the Sonix "how to fabricate and Aluminum Rib" the last video segment shows how to fabricate the stiffeners for the holes...

Hey you guys, thanks for the links! I investigated further, and found that Sonex sells flanging dies in 3" and 4" diameters.

Sonex Web store

..and if you want details about how to make your own, here's a good site that shows how to make them out of MDF.

You can also Google the term "lightening hole bobstick" and find some information about a neat little tool that will do it.

Last edited:
The cheap option is shown in (I believe) the instructions for the canopy stiffener for tipups and is basically a piece of wooden stick (preferably hardwood) about 1" x 3" x 3/4" (really depends on the size of your hole and depth of flange desired) that has a slot in it cut by a bandsaw. Cut the slot to the appropriate depth, slip it over the area to be flanged, and lever the block so that the flange is formed. You have to do this progressively around the hole. Probably not as neat as if done with a specific tool, but should get the job done.

greg

Thanks Greg, that sounds like the "bobstick" tool I read about. I'll be hitting up a certain wood-hoarding buddy of mine for a good piece of hardwood tomorrow. :)