Steve N.

Well Known Member
I've been flying with the light weight tailwheel SteinAir is now selling for the las 32 hours and 47 landings, most of which were on grass. After the last landing, I found the solid rubber tire was half way off of the wheel and by the time I got the airplane in the hangar it was completely off. By looking at the wheel, it appears that the rubber was mounted with some kind of adhesive. I tried calling Stein today and left a message. Either they don't work on Monday's or they are on vacation.

Any one else have this problem?

http://picasaweb.google.com/112033190079340788092/Tailwheel?feat=directlink

EEEK!

Having just replaced my tailwheel last night, that gets my attention. Nothing that some Gorilla Glue couldn't fix, I'm sure. :D

Glad that didn't happen while you were far away from home ...

See the archives for what happens to us on Mondays! :)

Anyway, just an FYI - I called and spoke to Steve; it'll be taken care of.

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks...

...to Stein and Dayton for working late this evening. Stein returned my call and contacted Dayton who makes the tailwheel and then Dayton called me. It seems the original company that bonded the rubber tires to the hub did not follow the correct process to get a good bond. Dayton has since contracted with a new company. The bad news is that the replacement won't be available until August.

I do like this tailwheel am looking forward to its replacement. If you have one of these tailwheels be sure to check it frequently.

Landed on Cat Island, Bahamas in July 2010 and my lightweight tailwheel came apart on landing.......stranded 350 miles off the coast. Rubber came right off the wheel. BAD design.......it needs some sort of mechanical retention and let the adhesive be secondary retention. It cost me big bucks to get another shipped to me. I don't trust my new one and am considering going back to the heavy original one.

Light weight tail wheel

Mine too debonded on the way to OSH last year. Found some wire laying around in Wendover Utah that got me to Aims Iowa. then some good guys in Aims Iowa had some drill screws and a cordless drill. That made it to OSH. I called Dayton he said send it back for a new one. Maybe the new glue will work here is hoping.

Hi All
I am sorry for any inconvenience that my tailwheel as cause any of you. My first rubber vender on the second batch of tailwheel chose to omit the post cure process and that is why I have had delaminating issues. That was February of last year. In March of last year I change rubber mold venders and I have been without quality / delaminating issues ever since. My policy has been to replace the Tailwheels that have delaminated. If you have had an issue with one of my tailwheels notify me so that I can replace it.

DJM Mfg Inc
1740 Rankin Dr
Carson City, NV 89701

Tail wheel failure

Yesterday my tail wheel failed at 190 hours of operation:(

I love the look of this tail wheel but I am not sure about reliability

Of course it failed away from home base and when I was not bringing tools with me:eek:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: