Status
Not open for further replies.

lostpilot28

Well Known Member
I can't find the recent thread on someone's RV that weighed in at under 900 lbs. I'm not interested in bashing anyone's ideas, but I am interested in how this is accomplished. I think it's worth exploring the thoughts or ideas for anyone considering this. I, personally, would like to see the various ways to do this for the possibility of doing some of these things to my -7A even though it's already flying.

If I remove my full leather interior with all carpets and extras I bought from AeroClassic my plane is under 1,000##. (empty 1,037)

No primer, no paint, no strobes, carbed O320 with wood prop, minimal panel, brakes on one side etc.

My RV-6 has no insulation anywhere except for a tiny bit around the arm rest, maybe 1 pound. It has no fancy instruments, basic cloth upholstery. It has a fixed pitch propellor. There is no firewall insulation. It does have an O-360 which adds 10 or 15 pounds. It has a single axis autopilot for a total of 3 pounds or so. This airplane came in at 1056 pounds before paint.

If anyone tried to sell me a painted RV-6 that they claimed was below 1,000 pounds I would want to be there for the weighing and the scale calibration.

Yeah, I agree with Larry - but it's a fun mental exercise!

In addition to Vlad's ideas:

Cato prop might be even lighter than wood - pick the pightest one possible! No wheel pants or fairings. Lighter tires (fewer plies). One Comm radio, remote very lightweight transponder (the Trig weighs almost nothing). Fuses only - no breakers or VP system. SD-8 alternator? That would save a few pounds for sure!

How about leaving the wintips off and just closing them with flat aluminum plates? Fibergalss isn't all that light. Oh - isnb't the taildragger lighter than the tricycle? You could put a lightweight DJM tailwheel on it even and save another 14 ounces....

Status
Not open for further replies.