riobison

Well Known Member
I was all excited today that I would be using my new Light Speed Sierra Head Set in my RV4. I'm all settled in, strapped in, plugged in and went to close the canopy, or so I thought. With the canopy down and locked, my new Light Speed Sierra was touching the top of the Canopy.

My old Head Set is a Peltor that I bought in Oshkosh 20 yrs ago has a head band that is very thin, maybe a 1/4"thick at best.

The Light speed and all of the new ones are way over built being over an inch thick plus. My seats are new Oregon Aero built for me and to take another inch off the bottom cushion just won't work for me.

I'm wondering what you other tall guys are doing for headsets?

Thanks

Tim

I have both a Lightspeed and a Halo. If it is bumpy, I use the Halo for sure. It only took a couple of whacks to realize that Lightspeed + bumps + my RV meant banging the canopy.

Halo all the way. My beloved Halo's broke one morning this past spring so I had to wear my passenger headset, Bose. Even those were hitting the canopy and I'm a short guy. Halo's fixed so the Bose are once again relegated to passengers.

I have a Todds canopy, so it is about an inch taller. I am using a Bose, and I have about 3 fingers between the top of my head and the canopy. I am 6' 2".

The Halo and Clarity Aloft have been around for a few yrs but don't seem to really have caught on as well as the new ANC Head Sets.

How well do they work in comparison to the ANC and a good Passive Head Sets of yester year such as the Peltor?

Tim

The Halo and Clarity Aloft have been around for a few yrs but don't seem to really have caught on as well as the new ANC Head Sets.

How well do they work in comparison to the ANC and a good Passive Head Sets of yester year such as the Peltor?

Tim

Let's see, we own four Halo's right now.....really need five, as one of our seats (three airplanes) is always missing one....and I personally rate the Halo as my favorite headset of all time. But that's me - you really have to try one for yourself - some people just don't like things in their ears.

As for flexibility, the Halo can't be beat - wear it with or without a hat (of any brim size). For noise protection, Phil can show you all sorts of plots that tell you the protection is outstanding. Weight? What weight.....you'll eventually try to get out of the airplane with it on, because you'll forget you're wearing it.

But....you need to wear one for a few hours to decide if you like it. Don't discard it after a single hour if you don't like it - give it a fair chance.

YMMV,

Paul

I have a good set of Shure Ear Buds that I wear for listening to music when traveling and they fit and sound perfect. For me with these in my ears are not a problem so I'm thinking the Halos or Clarity's will be comfortable enough providing there is enough noise canceling with this style.
I will try my Shures next trip up to see as a standalone how the noise canceling is.

Headset for tall folks

I use the Clarity Aloft in my RV9 as I am 6'4" and need the room. they work great and come with 3 different sizes of ear inserts to assure a good fit.

Tim,
Funny enough, I have the same plane, bought the same new headset to replace my Peltors, and had the same thing happen. Closed the canopy and the top of the Sierras were rubbing against the canopy.

I had to bring my seat cushion to a custom sewing place and they shaved a bit off and that worked for me. I see that's not an option for you so I'm not quite sure what other options are. They are quite thick on top of the head.

Yes, they are thick on top. All of the new ANC headsets on the market today are like that.

Funny thing is my Peltor are thin, still very comfortable, light and effective.

With these new headsets it makes me wonder if they are being over engineered in the wrong places to justify what they charge.

For now I will use my Peltor and look into trying the Halos or similar.

Yes, they are thick on top. All of the new ANC headsets on the market today are like that.

Funny thing is my Peltor are thin, still very comfortable, light and effective.

With these new headsets it makes me wonder if they are being over engineered in the wrong places to justify what they charge.

For now I will use my Peltor and look into trying the Halos or similar.

I use Halo's and my old ANR Peltors for passengers. Hart to beat success. Found that Lightspeeds don't hold up well to abuse and found Bose to be uncomfortable. Just my $0.02.

QUOTE]

...not sure, but my older Lightspeed aren't quite as thick, maybe 3/4". Still, I added a thin foam strip on top, and left the clear shiny release plastic on it so that when it did hit...and it does, it slides rather than marks the canopy.

Another option is to recline your seat to create the headroom. How?
:)I guess you need to get the 'almost a 14' mod from Anti-Splat to move the cross-member back!