bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
Anyone using the new Mini Sensor from Light Speed Engeneering?
It looks to be pretty much trouble free and easier to install than the origanal direct crank sensor.

http://www.lightspeedengineering.com/Products/MiniSensor.htm#Mini-Lycoming

The reason I'm asking and thinking about it is because my Halls Effect Module broke yesturday. I'm either going to have to pay for a repair or buy the updated Mini Sensor.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YQqelpKJGfd_ba9pT4K3N9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Failed Halls Effect Module

Dear long lost relative :eek:. Great photo - any theory from LSE on why it failed?

I got an email from him today and this is what he said:
Can you measure the backlash of the gears by measuring how much the end of the remaining rotor can be moved back and forth when the gears are engaged?
I suspect that you have too much gear lash, obviously the Hall Effect module does not put any load on the rotor, all stresses come from torsionals of the crankshaft.

Both gears look fine don't know why it would just happen now. Haven't had a chance to see if I can get any kind of measurement.

I have 622 hrs on everything, it was doing fine one day and then the next it was not.

I am most likely going to switch to the Mini Sensor, it looks to be the better setup.

Wow, that is a total redesign of the current system. No more drilling the flywheel and the sensor mount is greatly simplified and improved. I'd give it a try except 1) I wonder how easy it would be to wire into an existing harness and 2) he doesn't have the price or a line for it on his ordering page. Still, it looks very good; the two things I really didn't care for on my LSE was the clunky sensor board for mounting (with poorly potted wire connections) and the fact that the sensor leads went to large D-sub connectors that needed to pass through the firewall. This looks like one of those concerns has been fixed.

Wow, that is a total redesign of the current system. No more drilling the flywheel and the sensor mount is greatly simplified and improved.

Hmm - from looking at his instructions, the flywheel still needs to be drilled - but now just for the screws that hold on the new metal ring. (As opposed to putting the magnets into the flywheel itself).