I decided late in my RV-6 construction progress to use a dual Light Speed electronic ignition system. My decision came well after I had all the firewall penetration points defined and completed. When the dual Light Speed system arrived, everything was fully assembled and ready for installation. Included were the two 15 pin sub-D ignition module input cables. Since the ignition modules were to be located inside the fuselage, I needed to get the input cables through my firewall. And, that's where my problem began. I did not what to cut another relativity large hole through my completed firewall. I had already provided one 3/4 inch electrical penetration point on each side (left and right) of the firewall. A third penetration was just not in the cards.
In talking with Klaus Saviar at Light Speed, he were very concerned that I could do more damage to the system by cutting off the two 15 pin connectors and resoldering on new 15 pin connectors after I made the firewall penetration. During our phone conversation, Klaus agreed that if I returned to input harness to him, he would install 15 pin connectors with "removeable" female pins. And, that's what I did.
Today I received my ignition harness back from Klaus. Everything was accomplished very professionally. The two removeable 15 pin sub-D connectors were installed. And. my invoice for all of this---- was zero, nada, nothing. That epitomizes true customer service!!!
I can not say enough about Klaus and Jenny for their help and concern for my needs. They when well beyond the extra mile to customize their product to my special situation. They're the absolute best!!!
Chuck Brietigam
RV-3 flying
RV-6 almost flying

I wish they did that as standard procedure.

Me too. Since the connections at the sensor board (I've got the crank version) are soldered, you can't pass things aft, obviously. And, since the connectors that we speak of end up with a power connection and (optionally) an electric tach connection, you can't simply disconnect them from the boxes and pass them forward through the firewall even if you have the penetrations to do so. Right now I am faced with the prospect of cutting something somewhere because I have to remove my firewall. Since I do have suitable penetrations, I'm thinking I'll cut the power connections and put a small connector there, but the whole issue could have been avoided with a connector dedicated to the sensor cable.

Do the control Boxes have to be in the cockpit?

Do the Lightspeed control Boxes have to be in the cockpit? I have the control box for my LASAR system on the forward side firewall and it performs flawlessly (for 6 years now). If so I would use a bulkhead connector of some type to provide the firewall forward to cockpit interface and an "in cockpit cable" terminated with the box mating connector at the box.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Bob, mine is on the firewall with a blast tube directed at it. Not ideal but seems to be fine so far.

There have been some reports in the past of the control box overheating - to my recollection those were all with the Plasma III model.

I had a Plasma II forward of the firewall for several years - the weather eventually warped the decal on the surface of the box, but it worked fine.

My new plane has it on the cabin side of the firewall.

Caveat emptor.