No and I think analog is better

When I chose the LRI I had this in mind which I offer for your consideration:

• totally independent of electrics
  • if mounted far upper left, can be accurately perceived with peripheral vision while looking outside which is where you should be looking when you are on approach and landing
  • less to go wrong
  • analog is provably easier to interpret for us mere humans
So, now you have the opposing view and - the wonderful part - can do what you want to do.

Awhile back, I had seen a digital unit that moved in an arc like the analog one, but was done with LED's in a circle.

Thanks Jeff. I checked the website. Might have to add that to the list. Would this be necessary if I were planning on an AOA or would it just be redundant?

That would be redundant. Im installing one in my plane. Its on my list as well.

-Jeff

Circular LED LRI

Scud said:
Here's a company that sells one with LEDs. No prices listed. http://www.lriaoa.com/kits.htm

I have installed one of the circular kits but have not had a chance to test it yet. 'Rough Red' (VH-ITR) is about to have the wings finally grafted on.

My observations are that the advantage of the circular indicator is that it fits exactly in the standard small instrument hole. The mechanical unit is a tad bigger. It catches the eye really well and goes dormant when there is maximum lift reserve (Cruise).
The LEDs are dimmable and have a sensor which automatically dims them to a predetermined level when the ambient light level falls.
On the unit I received, the warning sound (Required in Aust for IFR) is internal and is not able to be fed to the intercom. It is however quite loud. It can be switched off for aero's and there is a indicator LED to indicate that the warning has been disabled.

Fitting of the instrument is easy being mostly mechanical tubing and pipe work. There is a box to mount and the indicator is connected to the box with a meter or so of cable. I re-terminated the cable to get rid of all the additional wire but the intention is that the box which has the hose fittings can be mounted in any convenient spot and the indicator is mounted in the instrument panel.

I mounted the wing probossus in the aeleron bell crank cover near the pitot pipe. Taking off the fuel tank to 'P' clamp the tubes to the spar was a drag but if one didn't care so much they can be simply poked in the space between the spar and the tank.

Setup is a breeze with a protractor being provided to get the correct angle. Fine adjustment can be done at the instrument.

My observation is that the whole instrument is well constructed for the price, fits into the panel well, and is easy to see and interpret.

Next month when 'Rough Red' finally takes to the air, we will know if the choice was vindicated.

Hope this helps a bit with the choice.

Ted

Just be careful!

I've been thinking of building an electronic / LED display for the LRI for a while and have work out a simple circuit. Actually, if you look at the data sheets for most electronic differential pressure sensors, they will provide you with the basic circuit that can easily be modified for use with the LRI. It?s even fairly easy to add an audible warning to the circuit. Biggest problem is finding the pressure transducers! One manufacturer just told me they are back ordered until at least 2007 on an order I placed in March! I?ve been too busy at work to spend much time building let along play with this electronic stuff. Whenever I get one up and running I?ll post the info.

On a side note: Just make sure the probe on the LRI hasn?t moved and the unit gotten out of calibration and to cross check with your airspeed. You don?t want this to happen to you! :(

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001211X12167&key=1

Scott Harding
Sugar Land, TX
-9 Deburing wing ribs

lift reserve indicator

if you like you can take the cheap route -- the knock-off of the lri was done in canada -- info at the following link:

http://www.snyder.on.ca/pages/lri.htm

i bought one of the dwyer (analog) pressure guages -- it was between $50 and $60 including shipping, iirc. i got the aluminum bar stock to make the probe, but haven't gone any further. however, when i was investigating this, i noticed that dwyer has pressure transducers of the same appropriate range (0-2" of water), as i toyed with the idea of a "roll your own" digital display. should be a piece of cake.

john

N722SH said:
I've been thinking of building an electronic / LED display for the LRI for a while and have work out a simple circuit.

Hi Scott,
There is already a real nice electronic / LED display for the LRI. see this link

http://www.lriaoa.com/kits.htm

If you would like to see one in person I have an extra kit. I bought 2 kits, installed one on my lancair IV-P and sold my Glasair before using the 2nd one.

Richard Cano
[email protected]
Galveston, TX

John,

I was where you are about 6-months ago. I've got my probe made and an analog magnehelic gage to use for calibration and was researching solid state presssure transducers when I got too busy at work to take it any further. Things should slow down shortly and the EE I work with has been asking about my litttle "project" ...maybe its about time to take it off the back burner. Let me know if you come up with anything good.

Scott

N722SH said:
I've been thinking of building an electronic / LED display for the LRI for a while and have work out a simple circuit.

Hi Scott,
There is already a real nice electronic / LED display for the LRI. see this link

http://www.lriaoa.com/kits.htm

If you would like to see one in person I have an extra kit. I bought 2 kits, installed one on my lancair IV-P and sold my Glasair before using the 2nd one.

Richard Cano
[email protected]
Galveston, TX

Richard Cano said:
Hi Scott,

Richard,

Yes, I know...but then that wouldn't be nearly as much fun as making one yourself. After all, it is an experimental airplane :D

Scott