David-aviator

Well Known Member
...big time here.

We have sold our air park home (at least have a contract to do so) at the Troy Air Park, Missouri and are in the process of down sizing to a condo closer in to St. Louis. The RV-8 stays for now and will be hangared somewhere, have not decided where just yet.

What motivates such a change? Time. Time marching on. I will be 76 next February and am weary of cutting grass (3 acres of it), moving snow during winter months and maintaining a pool in the summer. The yard work is endless. Also, who needs a 5 bedroom resort home at our age, we sure do not. It gets used by family, guests or friends maybe twice a year.

I've enjoyed the experimental effort very much, especially the last project the RV-8. It was some challenge building it from the box but I can feel that enthusiasm winding down also. Seems like it may be time to kick back and do something totally different, like volunteer work at the Missouri Botanical Garden in South St. Louis. Don't know for sure yet but I like the atmosphere of that place, it is generally quiet and peaceful. I like stuff that grows. John Shaw did humanity a favor building that place and leaving it for future generations.

The challenge now is getting rid of stuff and moved. Ii is not difficult for me, I am not a fan of keeping old useless junk and have shed quite a few tools and airplane things already, progress is being made in that area.

Anyway, whatever happens I sure have enjoyed what goes on here. The effort is great and so are the people involved. There is no greater satisfaction than building and flying the RV. But like I have inferred, there is a time and place for everything, one can not stop the clock. At least not here on planet earth.

Last edited:
David, you seem like the kind of guy I'd like to live down the street from. Your words are kindly received as intended, and Susie and I send our best wishes.

Very respectfully,
Doug

moving on

David,
I know how you feel. I just turned 70 and after 6 months of trying
to get my 3rd class medical back, kidney stone removal, I am ready to
pull the plug on flying. The FAA is jacking me around with 3 letters asking
for more information about my current medical condition, 5 medical exams
have I had in the last 6 months,all reports say good health, gardening
sounds like it might be very relaxing.

Best wishes for your future plans. Flying myRV6A was a blast for the
past 11 years, but time moves on.