RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hello Guys,
Anyone know anything about the availability of term life insurance that would cover first flights? My wife wants to know. I ask, "Where's the faith?" Actually, we have 3 yr old son and it's just good peace of mind.

Speaking about first flights... mine is coming up very soon, hopefully this weekend! :) I had my inspection on Monday and I finally have my air worthiness certificate after 9 years, 6 months of building! I knew I would see the day, I just didn't know it would be this long. It has been fun though.

My DAR was very very thorugh, even down to a possible AD on the 430. He checked everything! The inspection lasted 4 1/2 hrs! He found only a few very minor items... elevator trim pushrod loose jam nut and rubbing against the side of the slot. Rudder pedal cotter pin rubbing on fwd baggage sidewall, a long oil cooler hose that could use an Adel clamp about midway, and the aileron bellcrank pivot bolts not showing enough thread. He had me run my engine and checked the instrumentation during a full power run. Tail was tied down of course.

Now you ask why haven't I flown yet? Frankly I'm exhausted. I worked about 200 hrs during the last 3 weeks. You do the math! Due to the nature of the inspection I have a lot of stuff to screw back in place. The weather stinks, and I'm doing some transition training tomorrow down in FL. I also have to finish installing my emp fairing. This weekend the weather is forecast to be great, my airplane should be all buttoned up, and the pilot will be rested.

I'll fill you in after I get her airborne. I may even post a picture!

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

Insurability

First of all, congratulations. Great job!

In my opinion, the best insurance for a first flight is to have an experienced pilot with many, many hours of PIC time in an -8 take it up the first time. No shame in this at all. You will have the rest of your life to enjoy the RV grin.

Either way, congrats again.

Life Insurance

I have a term life policy through Prudential, with NO aviation exclusions whatsoever. I've had the policy about 3 years, and I know they change their offerings from time to time, but it might be worth checking into.

smithhb said:
In my opinion, the best insurance for a first flight is to have an experienced pilot with many, many hours of PIC time in an -8 take it up the first time.

If, heaven forbid, the test pilot goes down in your airplane, isn't the test pilot's family going to sue you like there's no tomorrow? That doesn't sound like insurance to me.

(Yes, I agree that the test pilot's odds of surviving/handling a bad situation are probably much better than for us low-time wanna-be RV pilots.)

That was going to be my comment, if it's an issue, have a professonal, or semi-professonal do it. I had someone that wanted me to do the first flight on their 9A. I turned them down, just because I only have a couple of RV hours, and that is all TW rv time.

Way to go Jerry.

I also took my time after passing inspection. Needed time to rest and carefully put things back together.
I got $400,000 from AllState that didn't have aviation exclution.

Kent

Thanks guys! Still shopping for the insurance but it looks like USAA has the best rates thus far.

The good news is I am well rested now and just got back home from doing my transition training. I'm gonna put the airplane back together and then it's time to fly!

Jerry

Can y'all give a ballpark figure for what one of these policies is worth?

Thanks, Karl

Insurance for flying and everything else

Many years ago, my dad was a part time insurance salesman in Northern Wisconsin; he didn't make much money, but what I learned is this: If you have a family, you should have adequate life insurance (unless you're filthy rich :) ) if you fly or not. You can easily get killed in a lot of ways; not just aviation!

If you have small children, term insurance is great because its very economical. I just converted a policy I've had for about 15 years and got 3X the coverage at the same price and limitations.

The other thing you should do is either protect yourself by getting an experienced pilot for the first flights or get a lot of training in TW or whatever experience you lack. I built a Kitfox first to get the TW experience in a easy-to-handle plane. If you choose to do neither, let me know and I'll buy an insurance policy on you with me as benificary :D :D

Craig, Kent, Jerry:

Can you guys please give me an idea of how much these policies are running? If you don't want to post it, please PM me. I would really appreciate it.

Karl

Paul Eastham said:
If, heaven forbid, the test pilot goes down in your airplane, isn't the test pilot's family going to sue you like there's no tomorrow? That doesn't sound like insurance to me.

Probably little chance of getting anything, particularly if the test pilot is charging for his services. Under those circumstances, taking the risk is his job.