eMKay

That's what I'm doing. I always wanted to fly, and finally have the extra money, that's going really well (weather permitting, I will solo Thursday or friday! Very exited!). I am planning on going all the way, IFR, Commercial, and CFI. Not ATP, I'm too old to go that route. I joined a flying club and we have 4 planes, but i love the idea of cross country flying and want to build my own. Sine that will take years, the club planes will work in the meantime. I have ordered the RV-9A preview plans, the toolbox and practice airframe part.

I'm currently an A level auto tech, tired of working on cars, and want to work on planes instead, I was exploring the idea of helping others with their build as well, since I have a lot of skill with tools, mechanical and electrical systems, pretty much everything that goes into building. I'm new to this whole world so I have a lot to learn about it, but luckily I learn quick.

Anyway, I'm happy that I finally found what I want to do with my life a little late (37) but better late than never. I have a very supportive wife, and no kids yet, but we're working on that, working for myself would help, when we have kids our plan was I would stay home, since her income is much higher. So I'd like to do a little flight instruction, work on some plane stuff, take some pictures (photography is another hobby) and live life!

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Mike, welcome to VAF.:D

Sounds like you have a good plan figured out.

Hope the weather cooperates for the solo, good luck with it.

Wow, your story sounds a l lot like my own. Started A&P school on my 35th b-day. Prior to that I earned a masters and bach degree in education. I tried public school teaching for a few years and hated every minute of it.
Upon entering A&P school I met people who were student pilots and started reading a little mag called Kitplanes. I always loved airplanes and dabbled in RC for several years but that was all I did with aviation.
I must say that A&P school was the greatest learning experience of my life. Upon graduating in 2001 I worked for the Air Force on C-5's, started my RV9, and became a pilot. Now I teach aircraft structural technology at Middle Georgia Technical College and am building my second plane - a plans built Hatz CB-1.
Yes, a career change has been very, very good to me. Good luck with yours!

Interested in moving?

If you and your wife have any interest in moving to Oregon, I have a friend who runs an FBO that has been looking for someone who meets your profile. He's also from Upstate NY, decided aviation was what he wanted to do, got his A&P and CFII, and moved out here. Also similar to you, his wife is the primary breadwinner (works in the medical field).

PM me if you want more info.

Look I already have the RV Grin, the owner let me try it on, I wonder if he's on this forum? Any one recognize it? He offered a ride too, I'll be taking him up on that soon.

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

If you and your wife have any interest in moving to Oregon, I have a friend who runs an FBO that has been looking for someone who meets your profile. He's also from Upstate NY, decided aviation was what he wanted to do, got his A&P and CFII, and moved out here. Also similar to you, his wife is the primary breadwinner (works in the medical field).

PM me if you want more info.

Moving to Oregon would be awesome, we both have family there but we're pretty settled here. But you never know, something to think about

It was worth a shot...

Moving to Oregon would be awesome, we both have family there but we're pretty settled here. But you never know, something to think about

Either way, best of luck with your flight training! Have fun.

Way to go Mike!

I want to career change into aviation too. I need to figure out my niche in aviation coming from an IT background. I assume I'll have to take an enormous pay cut, which has prevented me from moving towards the dream right now because I gotta fund my -10 first, but its definitely on my bucket list. Your story is good inspiration. :)

getting started.

Mike
I know what you are going through, six years ago I was there! Now I have 175 hrs on my -9A, and more to come....

I found it incredibly helpful to take the empenage class from Wally Anderson at Synergy Air, Eugene, OR.

Wally is on the EAA Tech Advisory Board and an excellent instructor. In the one week class, you complete your entire empenage! It is well worth the time and money, and gives you a jump start on the project. The idea is that if you build the empenage successfully, you have the sheet metal skills and understanding to do the rest of the airframe. It worked for me.

Right there with you...

I too am doing this...I just turned 30 and have decided to go after a PPL and build an -8A as well as go for an A&P cert. Ive already got out of my old profession (trucking) and am currently trying to weasel my way into a Structural job working as a fabricator trainee..but thats yet to be seen. Ive learned that your never too old to follow a dream so..by all means go for it and good luck!

-Smoke

I too am doing this...I just turned 30 and have decided to go after a PPL and build an -8A as well as go for an A&P cert. Ive already got out of my old profession (trucking) and am currently trying to weasel my way into a Structural job working as a fabricator trainee..but thats yet to be seen. Ive learned that your never too old to follow a dream so..by all means go for it and good luck!

-Smoke

Man, when did 30 & 37 become old??? You guys are way ahead of most...and lose the 'old' terminology! :) also, welcome to the madness, it'll change your life...no doubt about that.

old hah....

Man, when did 30 & 37 become old??? You guys are way ahead of most...and lose the 'old' terminology! :) also, welcome to the madness, it'll change your life...no doubt about that.

Old guys...30 & 37....hah....I'm an old guy....59 and started learning to fly a year and half ago...(I do it for fun so don't bust my chops for taking so long.) I'm just a few hours away from ppl (one solo xcountry and checkride left) My learning to fly was my gift to myself for completing chemotherapy and being cancer free...(over 3 years now...had to wait a year before I could get an SI Medical). I'd love to get my IFR and other ratings and I'd love to get an RV-10..Don't think I have the time to build one right now at this stage in my life...but it's a dream and we all must have dreams.

later

Barry

Old guys...30 & 37....hah....I'm an old guy....59 and started learning to fly a year and half ago...(I do it for fun so don't bust my chops for taking so long.) I'm just a few hours away from ppl (one solo xcountry and checkride left) My learning to fly was my gift to myself for completing chemotherapy and being cancer free...(over 3 years now...had to wait a year before I could get an SI Medical). I'd love to get my IFR and other ratings and I'd love to get an RV-10..Don't think I have the time to build one right now at this stage in my life...but it's a dream and we all must have dreams.

later

Barry

....well...i never actually said I was old :p i was just agreeing with eMKAY about changing directions in life.

oh..and i tip my hat to you Barry. Congrats on being cancer free and getting your PPL. cheers!

I guess 26 isn't too old to make a career change... LOL

I'm sticking with my current career in order to pay for the ratings and then I'm hoping to make the change. Hopefully by then I'll have a spouse who will support my minimum wage flying job :( Oh well I've learned that happiness tops $$$ any day of the week

Do what you love, and you will never work a day in your life...
Good for you guys.

Dennis
"old" guy at 51 ;-)

Say what

Yeah, and for just turning the small four o. That 37 comment was just offensive. A little... Do what you can and do it now. None of us have a lot of time left. Cheers

Just avoid the airlines

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Finally got to a major airline at 30 and I can't wait to get out. The big shiny Jet syndrome wears off fairly quick. My dream job would be restoring airplanes for a living.

Last edited:
+1
Wish I could tell you it gets better... :-/

I'm in the same boat as you guys to. Finally got to a major airline at 30 at I can't wait to get out. The big shiny Jet syndrome wears off fairly quick. My dream job would be restoring airplanes for a living.

Speaking of A&P, can you log time building a plane toward the certification?

I've heard this can be done, but not sure about the details. It takes more than just RV building time and passing the test, its more complicated than that. But I do think its possible to log your building time toward an A&P...do some research.

Here's a different perspective... I started out getting my glider pilot license before my driver's license, then worked up to PPL, then attended college to become an avionics tech. Following this I worked in commercial helicopters all over the world to build up the necessary apprenticeship hours before getting my AME ticket (Canuck equivalent of A&P). I followed this up with a dozen years as a tech rep for an avionics manufacturer, working on everything from Cessna Conquests up to Air Force One, and a lot of interesting airplanes in between.

The unfortunate down-side to this situation was that the only jobs in Canada that pay well in aviation require you to either be posted in the middle of nowhere, or to travel to wherever the paying customers are located. With a young family at home my wife was carrying all the burden of parenting and it was clear the wheels were very soon to come completely off the wagon.

At the age of 35 I quit aviation cold turkey. Telecoms was were the money was, so that's where I went. I'd be lying my fool head off if I said that telecoms was even 10% as interesting as aviation. But I went from never being home, to working from a home office, and my kids have thanked me for having sacrificed job satisfaction in order to be present in their lives.

For a period of about five years I'd look up at airliners passing overhead and say out loud, "the best thing about that airplane is that I'm not on it!"

Then something amazing happened. I decided to take a flying lesson. After fifteen years without a single entry in my logbook I NEEDED instruction, despite having spent those years in aviation, and often getting stick time in some incredible flying machines. The airplane was a rental Cessna 150 with over 14,000 hours on the clock. The instructor was a 20-something lad who had book knowledge but no practical experience. By the end of the flight I was so angry with him and his desire to instruct me in a fashion that would eventually get me killed that I swore I would never rent another airplane.

Fate smiled upon me, and six months later I owned a nice little homebuilt airplane that I've since spent a lot of time upgrading with new avionics, overhauled engine, etc. Now I'm looking for something with longer legs so we're well prepared to travel in our retirement days, which are far closer than we had ever thought possible.

For those of us who have been chewed up and spat out by the aerospace industry, "homebuilt" aviation is a welcome diversion from the daily grind and a terrific way to keep ourselves feeling fulfilled. No matter where you go you'll never find better people than aviation people.

I wish you success in your voyage. Go bravely and embrace the joys of life fully lived.

Here's a different perspective... I started out getting my glider pilot license before my driver's license, then worked up to PPL, then attended college to become an avionics tech. Following this I worked in commercial helicopters all over the world to build up the necessary apprenticeship hours before getting my AME ticket (Canuck equivalent of A&P). I followed this up with a dozen years as a tech rep for an avionics manufacturer, working on everything from Cessna Conquests up to Air Force One, and a lot of interesting airplanes in between.

The unfortunate down-side to this situation was that the only jobs in Canada that pay well in aviation require you to either be posted in the middle of nowhere, or to travel to wherever the paying customers are located. With a young family at home my wife was carrying all the burden of parenting and it was clear the wheels were very soon to come completely off the wagon.

I can attest to this - my father ran an AMO for 9 years, and was rarely around the house, usually working long shifts (10-12 hours minimum per day, and usually 6 days a week). Thankfully, one of his clients offered him a position as the Director of Maintenance two years ago, so the relationship is slowly being patched up again.

I've ordered RV-9A preview plans, the toolbox kit, and the practice airframe part kit. Oh, and ordered $900 worth of tools from my Snap On dealer. Guess I'm committed now. Or should I BE committed?

Good move. You will see how fast it will consume you :D Cancel that Snap on order and order the tail instead.

I can attest to this - my father ran an AMO for 9 years, and was rarely around the house, usually working long shifts (10-12 hours minimum per day, and usually 6 days a week). Thankfully, one of his clients offered him a position as the Director of Maintenance two years ago, so the relationship is slowly being patched up again.

its comical to me when I hear people refer to 10-12hr shifts long. a 10 hr day where I work is referred to as a short job.

Good move. You will see how fast it will consume you :D Cancel that Snap on order and order the tail instead.

Yeah but then I won't have any tools to build it with. I have $10,000 worth of tools, none of them useful for building a plane (except some drill bits, and vice grips)

its comical to me when I hear people refer to 10-12hr shifts long. a 10 hr day where I work is referred to as a short job.

Oh, those were the lucky days - usually he was out the door at 07:00, and we didn't see him until 20:00 at the earliest. Then again, he was running an AMO as a one man show, with a number of clients, and something would always break right when he got home (typical for anything with critical moving parts, it seems). He offered to hire me on, but I didn't want to live in BC for a year and a half to get started on the AME apprenticeship stuff, especially after he told me just how little I'd make and what I'd have to deal with (then again, I was making around $60k per year at the time, in a unionized position, which I figured wasn't bad for being 24 at the time, so my eyes were probably jaded over by dollar signs. Heck, would've been $85k or so per year now if I hadn't left that company o_O)

An old job I had I used to work, on a regular basis, 12-13 hours per day, five days a week with saturday being a "half day" (6-8 hours) - it was bloody grueling work, especially dodging all the other drivers who were always perfectly adept at sitting right in your truck's blind spots.. Worst day though was when I destroyed a rim (funny what shearing three out of eight lug bolts will do to a rim because the guy who rotated the tires didn't torque down the lugnuts), and the replacement truck they gave me had a completely ruined clutch.