rv7mike

I'm New Here
Hey, all.

I'm working on the practice kit, and the ribs are very small. Small enough that the back rivet set I have is just too fat to use! the sleeve is pretty thick, and the rivet set itself doesn't even touch the rivet. Does anyone know of a "skinny" back rivet set that uses a thinner sleeve? I bought mine from ATS.

#mikec

Easiest thing to do is to just modify the set you have. I sanded the sleeve down on one side, so it's now kind of D-shaped. This way, if I'm back riveting a stiffener, I can orient the flat side to provide clearance as needed.

Mike,

Cleaveland's back rivet set has a much thinner sleeve. Or you could do what I did and sand off a bit of my thick-collar rivet set sleeve so that it fits between the flange and rivet.

Hope this helps...

Dave

Last edited:
Remove sleeve temporarily

You may also remove the sleeve and spring temporarily by knocking out the pin that holds it together, assuming it is similar to the back set that I have. Then, use your finger tips to keep the end of the set over the rivet tail.
I have another type of back riveting set, with a tip that is recessed slightly to prevent it from slipping off the rivet, and there is no sleeve. I find it actually works better than the sleeve type as it allows more precise control.