gbrasch

Well Known Member
Well, there goes my moderator position and good status on VAF, Doug is gonna delete me forever but hear me out. All the time we see young folks on this forum wanting to get into aviation. With all due respect to Doug, he is already an accomplished pilot with an airplane and money. Why not sponsor a young person and buy him or her a kit. Lets not get too complicated here, maybe have an established EAA Tech Rep nominate someone they deem worthy, and a kid they would agree to oversee in the process. It just seems like a better thing to do...................Glenn

i agree, not because i don't have a great deal of respect for Doug, i do have a great deal of respect for Doug and the wonderful thing he's done for Van's fan's everywhere..

but i think the buy a kid a kit could be an awesome way for the great people at VAF to keep the E/AB community youthful and enthusiastic!!

i volunteer to be the kid. JUST KIDDING:p

Glenn:

I don't think it's a case of "either Doug or a kid". All of this generous outpouring is an expression of appreciation for all the things Doug has done that have enrichened the lives of so many in the RV community.

Now that vansairforce.net exists and we have well organized forums, and a structure for communications and a myriad of other easy to use tools, it becomes easy to forget what building was like before this site existed. Certainly Van has never undertaken to provide such a forum, he hasn't even bothered to update the pictures on the company site that must be five years old by now. Heck even some of those were donated by Doug.

Doug took the initiative to build this site, has stuck with it over many years, and endured the slings and arrows from a few naysayers that most site viewers have never gotten wind of, but I can assure you they are out there.

So it isn't about doing something for a needy would be builder, or inspiring a youngster -- it's about saying "Thanks, Doug" for making a real difference.

Let me add my own thanks to Doug, and my contribution to the build fund as soon as the phones are open.

And if you'd like to start a fund for a needy young aviator/would-be builder, that's fine too.

Chris

Glenn,

I hear what you are saying about sponsoring a kid but is that really a practical idea? Building an airplane is a major endeavor, requiring an almost single-minded commitment. As you can see right here, some long time and a few very long time keyboard-loving posters have yet to actually complete the project. The challenge of building an airplane more often than not spans many years and its hard enough for any financially and emotionally stable adult to cope with. Now let us think for a moment about all that's going to naturally occur in that kid's life while building the airplane. He or she is likely to be attending school, will want a car at age 16, become interested, even consumed with the opposite sex and go out on dates. The kid will likely have to find a part time job just to finance all that and more. Do you really think a young person will want to stick with building an airplane through the entirety of those formative teenage years? How can anyone, let alone that kid anticipate what heady diversions those years will bring? Okay, lets say that child is truly exceptional or gets really lucky and somehow manages to finish the project by age 19 or 20. Now he or she can look forward to the permanent ongoing care and feeding expenses that go with airplane ownership. By age 20-21 college, military, and marriage are potentially on the table now and we know how many dreams of aviation have been postponed...sometimes for decades...because of such things. The way I see it, the few kids capable of managing such a thing will likely be children of a relatively well-off families. Such families can finance their own child's dream without any help from us.

Doug Reeves has given us.....hands down....THE most popular, well regarded RV forum in existence and because of it, I believe it is safe to say that uncounted RV's have been finished and flown because of the vast amount of information that continues to be collected and shared right here. Doug did not ask the membership to do this thing for him, it was a spontaneous gesture done in the spirit of giving something back for what he has given and we...all of us would be hard pressed to make a better case for someone else be more deserving.

Do both. "Require" DR to have a few local young people involved in the building of the RV-3.

I am looking into starting a "building club" with that purpose in mind. The RV-12 is just about perfect for that mission.

Spot On Paul!

While I agree 110% with your suggestion... possibly a greater good could be served if VAF sponsored a small group. I know of at least one person (a flight director for NASA) that fondly recalls his years in an aviation troop/post of the Boy Scouts of America, and who also credits that experience as an influence in is life and career. VAF has an abundance of resources to host a group build program. The most difficult decision will be where and who. I envision (1 a group of VAF members volunteering to assist in the selection of an individual and/or group; (2 that for obvious reasons the first build be conducted at 52F; (3 that the project be promoted in local and national news; and (4 that if found to be a successful program, that future build projects be held around the country and started on an annual basis with completed projects displayed at LOE, SnF, and OSH. Given the vendor support demonstrated at LOE, this type project should place very little financial burden on VAF individual members. If you can't tell by now, a project of this nature a personal dream, and I'll guarantee the financial support needed to complete the first build.

As you might expect I do not agree

No one that is young can benefit in life by being given an airplane kit. Life is a struggle and a young person trying to find their place in life is not well served by having an obsolete technology albatross tied around their neck. Group activities like the "build a plane project" are good for a lot of reasons that I will not attempt to itemize but big gift items are a two edged sword that can hurt a young life and disappoint the giver.

Bob Axsom

Do both. "Require" DR to have a few local young people involved in the building of the RV-3.

I am looking into starting a "building club" with that purpose in mind. The RV-12 is just about perfect for that mission.

come on now..i think the no strings attached is the best idea.
he may not even want to start it quite yet...

besides he's got his own kids.:cool:

if someone gave me a kit my wife would probally kill them or me or both.:eek:

come on now..i think the no strings attached is the best idea.
he may not even want to start it quite yet...
Yep, the RV-3 kit gift idea is great, but something with conditions is not a gift, it is a burden and a responsibility.

If someone offered me a "gift" and said I had to do this and this I would just say no thank you.

I am going to try and address this from an aspect that hasnt been done yet, and that would be from the "kid" aspect. I am currently 21 attending school at Embry-Riddle and will comminsion into the army in less than 12 months hopefully flying helicopters. I can not recall how much time I spend on these forums daily, reading peoples full build logs from first rivets to flying. It would be my absolute dream right now to build an RV, however just not feasable. I see it as the type of "kid" who would be interested in this type of program where a kit is essentially given to them would be someone much like myself, who is die hard aviation with everything they do, they are not going to be your run of the mill student studying a basic engineering degree. For myself, the time commitment is not that big of a deal, my work load now if not to heavy and I very well could spend 2 hours a day at least building, however the problems arise in the cost of building. We all know that the initial kit is only the beginning of the expenses, tools, avionics, engines, accessiories, all add up to a large sum of money that the large majority of people in my place do not have and will not have for many years. Throw in the cost of a hanger or tie down spot and insurance and it becomes virtually impossible. I guess what I am trying to say Is that If someone were to offer me a kit, I would be absolutly speechless and blown away however It would either be put into storage for a few years or would have to say Thanks but no thanks its just not feasible and I think this is the same for just about any "kid" that you would come across.

Later on down the road I know that an RV is in the future, I cannot wait till the day when I can start pounding rivets.
david

Im a youngin' and dont think its a good idea... Just too many kids out there that change their mind way too much. Also, how is a kid going to afford proper maintenance? Engine? Panel? etc? There is no way. Its expensive for me to fly.... I couldn't imagine how hard it would be for someone younger to afford it. I say it goes to Doug. He has made building possible for so many members.

As a person who was given the opportunity to work on airplanes and learn to fly them at an early age (yes, Ernie was referring to me), I salute almost ALL of the sentiments expressed in this thread! I especially like David (the 21 year old Embry student) for clearly understanding that no matter how great a thing sounds, practical aspects can really get in the way. I appreciate Glenn's idea - let's take our astounding desire (and ability) to help others with aviation products - but have to dose that with the reality of life. it is rare when something given to the young is truly appreciated as much as something EARNED by the young.

My hands-on aviation opportunity started at age 13, and we rebuilt some Cubs for an FBO, under the sponsorship of Scouting and others. We were given flight time at a discount for the hours that we worked - nothing was handed on a silver spoon, and nothing came without us chipping in our own funds. Yes, my private license cost me only $500 (at a time when most people spent $2,000), but I had a lot of sweat equity in the deal. And when I got into college, there was no way I would have been able to keep up the care and feeding of an airplane. Not until I was established in a job was that possible, and it all came at the expense of just about everything but my job and some volunteer activities.

Yes, I would STRONGLY support giving kids a similar opportunity. Yes, I would support such an effort with much of my time. And yes, I agree with those who express the thought that the RV-3 kit for Doug is a gift, and he should feel zero pressure to do anything but what he wants with it.

I hope that we can organize an educational build or two as Ernie suggests. It will take a lot of commitment on many people's part - but it can be done. It may not happen right away, but it has happened, it is probably happening somewhere, and it will happen again.

Noble causes - training and recruiting the youth of today. But let's not forget that while aviation, airplanes, and building a re a great tool - the real goal is not in giving an airplane to a kid - but in turning kids into great men, whatever they do with the real skills they learn.

Paul

affirmative action?

IMHO this thread should be deleted as it does nothing but impose considerable awkward feelings for the receiving party.

If you want to start a fund than do so, but man, talk about throwing a bomb over the fence.

The youth workshop stuff sounds like a great idea. BTW

Last edited:
Last Post

I agree 100% with William W. I have started typing a reply to this twice and have stopped short of posting it. :confused: Reiley had a great heartfelt idea and it took off like gangbusters. If someone wants to propose something else, then do it after Reiley's idea is finished. Doug get the garage ready and get to work dude. :) There are a lot of us who read this forum and website multiple times a day. Obviously, based on the response, you deserve the gifts being bestowed and enjoy it. You and your kids will have a blast.

William is right, this is not right and it is going to create an uncomfortable situation. Please let this be the last post on this. First things first. If you want to donate to the RV3 get after it. If you have a different idea, wait a month or two and throw your idea out there. I know the motives are good but the unintended results are not. Please, let's let this end here.

Glenn
Decatur, Tx
Renting and Wishing I Was Building

P.S. Thanks Jay Pratt for being so kind today to me and my daughter today. She and I loved looking around your hangar of RVs.

Please let this be the last post on this.

I agree 100% too!

Even the the airplane is 100% paid for, the expense of a hangar (even splitting the cost of one), insurance, fuel, and maintenance is far too great for most young men or women just getting out of the teen stage. At the moment, I average expenses of $632 a month, with a paid for aircraft.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Decided to chip in on the thread since technically I am a 'kid' who was given a tail kit, and I must admit it is rather awkward to sit back and see all responses (as cytoxin noted). However, I want everyone to know in my personal situation it wasn't a fund set up, or anything asked for, it was originally offered up FREE to ANYBODY who wanted it. Because of the 'it's free' type of offer, I felt that I had an opportunity to the tail kit as much as anybody on this site did. I was just lucky to be the first to see it, and, just happened to be a yougin'. The other offers that came after for shipping was similar to Doug's deal - just out of the generous hearts of VAF members. Now here is my take on the whole deal:

I think its great to support young builders like myself, and I feel that the best way is to be a mentor is by allowing them to learn techniques in a builders class or in a garage with a builder of the airplane as an extra set of hands. I agree with many that if money is raised specifically for a 'kid' builder (especially one my age), there is much more responsibility by the local mentors to make sure the purpose is being fulfilled. Like mentioned before, a tail kit doesn't just build itself when you touch it. It takes lots of tools, a workspace, etc to do it. After recieving my tail kit, it took awhile to be comfortable to fork out the money for tools, as I was going to college in a few months upon recieving it. I needed to budget myself and decide when it was best to make that financial decision. Plus, working on the family farm kept me extremely busy, and there was a time restriction there. It was many months untill I was able to buy tools and even start. By then, it was back to school (three hours away from home). Then, it was on to build a suitable workshop to build the tail in. I am very lucky to have an aviation-loving father who has been willing to help me accomplish the 'getting ready to do it' task. I have definitely not lost any motivation, and rivets are being driven in my airplane shop out in the barn - it just took time to get there. I'm determined to learn and get it done. However, I know it will most likely be out of college before I will be able to afford a set of wings, and that was something I knew from the very beginning and I was prepared for. That is why I'm not it a huge hurry, I want to soak up as much information, be able to analyze the process, and do it right.

To put it in a short explaination:

Is it feasible for me (or any other person) in my current college student low finances status to build and maintain an entire AIRPLANE? No.

Is it a great opportunity for me to work on a TAIL, and in hope someday, finances and time allowing, I'll be able to add that tail to an airplane when the time is right? Absolutely.

If somebody started something for a 'young builders tail', there would need to be much more consideration than just the tail (throw in a lot more for everything else needed to accomplish the task, and definitely have a picky selection process on who is getting it). You must think if you want the reciever to build an AIRPLANE, or build a TAIL as an educational experience?

(edit: apologies to the last two posters, was writing this as you asked for no more replies. moderators remove if need be.)

Last edited:
Well, there goes my moderator position and good status on VAF, Doug is gonna delete me forever but hear me out. All the time we see young folks on this forum wanting to get into aviation. With all due respect to Doug, he is already an accomplished pilot with an airplane and money. Why not sponsor a young person and buy him or her a kit. Lets not get too complicated here, maybe have an established EAA Tech Rep nominate someone they deem worthy, and a kid they would agree to oversee in the process. It just seems like a better thing to do...................Glenn

Now, that's the spirit Glenn. I love Doug as much as the next VAF junkie, but youth is what we need to keep this (the world's greatest hobby) alive! I'm with ya, pal!

Last edited:
.....but youth is what we need to keep this (the world's greatest hobby) alive! I'm with ya, pal!

Which is why a $50 donation would be put to much better use by burning some fuel through your bird at the next Young Eagles event in your area. Like several others have mentioned, buying a "kid" a kit is a very nice gesture, but not a practical way to promote aviation to our youth.

The fact that Glen had a place (this forum) to make his well-intended suggestion, underscores the very reason that Reiley made the "let's buy Doug a kit" suggestion in the first place.

Oh oh oh... i'm a 'kid'...

Like iwannarv said though, it's not a whole bunch of practical for anyone my age... (I'm all of 23 now) to actually own and operate and RV class airplane. As much as we want to think of a RV (2 seater) as economical, the second you have a low cylinder at condition inspection time, is the same second I'd have to be lookin for a buyer or a ton of downtime.

Now thats not to say I don't enjoy the projects i've been blessed to run across, the -7 I bought with my hard earned $$$ or the -4 wing/tail that I ran across here on the boards for next to nothing.

I'm training for my new job out here in bea-u-ti-ful Oklahoma City right now, and should be back in Socal before thanksgiving, raring to get working on the -4 wings. Once I get home I'll be paying off debt and saving for the inevitable engine I'll be needing. Probably a run-out IO-320 :).

I hate to say it, but having a few flight hours, a few years of wrenching, and (quite) a bit of experience with experimentals, I know that this won't be cheap, and I'd kinda feel like I was cheating myself if I didn't 'experience' the whole build including coming up with all the funding to make all my own decisions.

If you want to sponser a young adult in aviation, pay for their A&P classes... a gift that keeps on giving...

Run with it

Morning Glenn,

Ready... set... go... run with your idea, sounds great! But, please allow Doug to enjoy his gift.

Glenn is on the right track, but

Why not raise funds to purchase a kit or sub kits, along with enough $$ to pay for time and build assistance from someone like Jay. Partner with a local youth group(Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc.) to have the type of build days or meetings via the VAF Education Foundation Paul mentioned and when complete, sell $50 to $100 raffle tickets(more than invested) to win the finished kit. Versions of this type of program have been used for years to raffle houses and cars, with the proceeds donated to charity. With a tweak or two, this could provide the seed money for the formation of a VAF Education Foundation. While I totally agree with Paul on the 3 for Doug, I think Glenn is spot on with the general premise. No need to delete the thread because of a simple either/or statement. Why not both?

BTW: If memory serves me correct, did the group not donate money to ship a free sub kit to a younger builder? I remember two years ago, at LOE, Todd and I trying to convince anyone winning the Vans tail kit to give it to Moose to get his project started. Not a new concept, but a better approach.

Your turn to rip it up!

I think the original idea to honor and repay Doug for all his RV support with VAF Doug with the -3 kit is a great idea. Others don't need to contribute if you have "better" ways to spend a bit of dough.

Personally, I can't think of anyone else who deserves this so much.

Too cold to read?

I think the original idea to honor and repay Doug for all his RV support with VAF Doug with the -3 kit is a great idea. Others don't need to contribute if you have "better" ways to spend a bit of dough.

Personally, I can't think of anyone else who deserves this so much.

This has nothing to do with the 3 for Doug. I agree with your last statement and I'm in for that too, but unless you want experimental GA to die, you've got to pay it forward. Constructive ideas are needed to make this one work. Not either/or means BOTH!

Taxable Income

Back in high school (13 yrs ago) they had one of those drawings where they give out a free car to one of the seniors (blue base model Camaro) and some guy from my class won it. This guy was a good kid and was on his way to the University of Oklahoma and already had all of his financial aid worked out ... his family didn't have much money so he needed all the help he could get.

It turns out that the gifted car created enough taxable income for the guy that he lost his financial aid and had to spend a couple years at the local junior college before actually heading off to the university. Talk about your unintended consequences! :eek:

$0.02...

-Rick

MY GIVE UP GLENN!

Carry the torch and let me know when I can help. I have $100 for the Youth project/foundation/ when it becomes feasable.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with the 3 for Doug. I agree with your last statement and I'm in for that too, but unless you want experimental GA to die, you've got to pay it forward. Constructive ideas are needed to make this one work. Not either/or means BOTH!

I just want to point out that Robby's really on to something here. This is worth a whole 'nother thread, but general aviation is dying. I mean, hello! It's too expensive for, really, all but the uber wealthy and those that are willing to make more-or-less unreasonable sacrifices (myself included, like, um, spending three years of my life building an airplane, perhaps?).

Anyone else agree with this?

hmmmmm

I'm trying to look at this thread with a completely objective view. I'd say Doug will never ever ever... ever.... take his friendship-3 for granted. I'd say he is a very humble man who is quite deserving of this kit even though he probably does not think so. He has in fact created the largest, best RV forum in existence. This forum has probably saved many lives as well as hundreds of thousands of dollars in re-ordered parts from oops mistakes. By each of us chipping in some money for Doug's RV-3, that is only a drop in the pond to what he has given us. Perhaps in response to the title of the thread, we can start a fund for EAA chapters to buy things from Vans like tail kits or kit toolboxes etc... I'm involved in Chapter 690 at LZU and I've got to say I'm quite impressed at what they have done with their youth. There are always plenty of Young Eagle pilots ready to give rides... and Debbie Huffman (the chapter pres) works in an aerospace program where kids actually build aircraft parts. They also sponser kids to go to the EAA camp. Several posts have mentioned that GA is dying... they are correct. The fences around the airports did away with most of the airport kids. The electronic entertainment devices that kids are plugged into these days keep them inside. It would be quite the challenge to pick the right "kid", award them the airplane, get it flying and then maintain it. I take lots of people for rides in my yankee.... I promote GA whenever I can. I let people borrow my tools, headset, gps and radios when they need them...(roommate is learning to fly and building a 7a). If we do not get a TON of people interested in GA now... we may be in for a rough ride. It will probably end up like Germany where all they can afford to fly are gliders and LSA type aircraft. I fear the average age of the pilot is increasing to the point where they will lose their medical, sell the airplane, (it's a buyers market already) and buy the other type of RV... (4 tires). I'm 31, a mechanic and a CFI (rotor) and I can count on one hand the number of pilots close to my age I know that own aircraft. That number is Zero. My dream is to have a small house and hanger on a private airstrip and own and fly an RV while building another. My dream job is to be a med-evac helicopter pilot. In the company I work for, I see lots of young pilots who interview for the airlines at 200 or 250 hrs... and it's sad. They have the cookie cutter licenses (most of them) and no real experience with the harsh side of flying. The nintendo generation is here and flying us around in airliners... I'd be more than happy to start a fund for the local EAA chapter for exposing kids to aviation... they always have plenty of kids that want rides etc....
Best
Brian Wallis

Back in high school (13 yrs ago) they had one of those drawings where they give out a free car to one of the seniors (blue base model Camaro) and some guy from my class won it.

It turns out that the gifted car created enough taxable income
$0.02...

-Rick

Rick, just so this doesn't go any further, the regs dictate one must have participated in some manner for the "gift" to be taxable. In your above case, he put his name in the box. Doug has no issue with his 3 parts.

From a bean counter.

I'm 31, a mechanic and a CFI (rotor) and I can count on one hand the number of pilots close to my age I know that own aircraft. That number is Zero.

Brian. You've been working in Florida for how long and you've already forgotten about me? I'm only 32. :)

Rick, just so this doesn't go any further, the regs dictate one must have participated in some manner for the "gift" to be taxable. In your above case, he put his name in the box. Doug has no issue with his 3 parts.

From a bean counter.

Dana, thanks for the clarification ... I'm ignorant of the details around tax law stuff but wanted to share an example of where some good intentions misfired. For Doug it's good that there won't be a problem but if these guys go forward with their youth program ideas I'm sure everyone would hate to see a similar outcome to what I described. Structuring the plan from the outset to avoid such an occurrence should be considered, if it moves forward.

Cheers

-Rick

eek!

Brian. You've been working in Florida for how long and you've already forgotten about me? I'm only 32. :)
Dang!.... I've been messing in the MEK too much lately I guess.... The correct number is two.... Jamie P. and Todd S (slot pilot for ethenol squadron)
Sorry guys...:)

Not dismissing the gift-to-Doug idea at all, but I like the idea of working with kids. When I became President of our local EAA chapter, that was my goal. It is just beginning to work--we couldn't make headway working top-down (the local Principal moved and--well, it didn't work.) Putting more emphasis on the Young Eagles program IS finding interested students!

Another local high school near here had a project a few years ago, building a solar car. It beat all other HS's and universities (like Purdue and MIT) in national competition. OK, having Tony Stewart donate a bunch of technology didn't hurt, but KIDS CAN DO THINGS! I talked to Van at some length at Oshkosh about having a high school build a 12 as a project. IMHO he would be willing to help out. I would really like seeing us get something into a school program.

BTW, the solar car lost in international competition in Australia due to a $2 part failing. Sigh...

Bob Kelly

my two cents

Hmm... i think this is a wonderfully generous thought that could probably be a really good thing for the right person, but any "young" person is most definitely involved in school still and thats one **** of a distraction to hand to them.. especially if they are particularly passionate about aviation... I'm 19 and a sophomore in college and i definitely wouldn't have the time..

there is the idea that you give it to a local kid with a builder "supervisor" but not every worthy kid has a local builder to help them out.. the logistics of fairness could get complicated really quickly when you cross that line...

I think it's a great idea because I fit the frame. :rolleyes: I recieved a scholarship for my Glider license through the Royal Canadian Air Cadets at 16, a scholarship for my PPL through cadets at 17. I graduated high school at 17, and 6 months later I was an 18yr old commercial pilot.

Having done a season a float flying, spending my winter in New Zealand towing gliders, a season working with an aerial application company ... I now have time on my hands. Both in the air and time available during the winter months.

Being a 20yr old bachelor who works seasonal gives me alot of options. Unfortunatly for the majority of youth today ... that's not really the case. With college/university ... summers "off" being filled with summer jobs to pay off student debt. I couldn't fathom being a student building a plane. I'm finding it rough to start even with a jump start on the career and time on my hands.

Having said that; when theres a will, theres a way. I've managed to make a start. Having just spent more money than the value of my car ... just on a tool chest and tools. Just got to keep thinking to myself ... it's an investment towards aircraft ownership.

So again, fantastic idea ... but it would deffinitly take the right person, with the right desire, the right attitude, time, and commitment.

Last edited:
School Program

I talked to Van at some length at Oshkosh about having a high school build a 12 as a project. IMHO he would be willing to help out. I would really like seeing us get something into a school program.

Bob Kelly

I have been an Industrial Arts teacher for the last 16 years and truely like the idea of a school sponsored build. I actually tried to make it go in my district but was shot down due to liability reasons (gotta love the world we have built...I think there are a few rivets missing :D ) It all depends on the leadership and whether they are open minded enough.

If there is someone else out there willing to give it a shot in their district, I have found that the best way to do the build is to generate an LLC and do all purchasing through it. When the plane is built and sold (to do another project) the LLC will sell it and hold the liabilities (in theory). I liked seeing that Sonex is jumping on the band wagon for education and it would be great if Van's would do the same.
Best Regards
Dan B
Mesa, AZ

Last edited:
I skipped most of the posts in this thread

So hopefully this is not a repost of someone else's idea but....

I agree that there are problems w/ just giving a kit to someone, but here is something you can do for "kids" of all ages: Free rides, and free instruction from you CFI's. Kinda goes along the lines of "if you teach a man to fish..."

Tony,

Thanks, I wasn't familiar with the education program Sonex has. Will really look into how it works.

Dan B,

Sounds like a plan, but first thing is finding someone interested enough to make it worthwhile. I am still looking. In the meantime, have a lot of Young Eagle's to talk to.

Bob

I hate to say it, but having a few flight hours, a few years of wrenching, and (quite) a bit of experience with experimentals, I know that this won't be cheap, and I'd kinda feel like I was cheating myself if I didn't 'experience' the whole build including coming up with all the funding to make all my own decisions.

If you want to sponsor a young adult in aviation, pay for their A&P classes... a gift that keeps on giving...

I actually like this guys idea the best. So buy Doug a tail kit if you think we should, it'll probably actually get built and fly eventually. I'm thinking that a scholarship fund provided by or in the name of VAF is a darn good idea. We would, as a group, probably have to elect a chairman to handle the details since this would be to much to ask of Doug and what the heck while we're at it we should just elect a board of directors. Hey Doug what'ya think can we co-op your site?

Last edited:
If there is someone else out there willing to give it a shot in their district, I have found that the best way to do the build is to generate an LLC and do all purchasing through it. When the plane is built and sold (to do another project) the LLC will sell it and hold the liabilities (in theory). I liked seeing that Sonex is jumping on the band wagon for education and it would be great if Van's would do the same.
Best Regards
Dan B
Mesa, AZ

In this arena, Sonex IS the bandwagon. Best bet for those educators interested in such a program would be to ask these folks how they were able to pull it off:

http://education.sonexaircraft.com/projects/

Tony