Davepar

Well Known Member
I'll throw out this tidbit so it can help someone else. When I wired up my avionics, I had one serial output from the GNS-430W go to my autopilot and a separate serial output go to the EFIS. I thought that would give me the most flexibility. Turns out both the EFIS and autopilot want the same "aviation" format. The 430W can only output a particular format on one serial output. I'll have to do a little re-wiring.

Dave, same issue here with the regular G430. And the 300XL, 480 and GRT EFIS that I know about. :eek:

Marc

At least it's an easy fix - you just split the output to go two places - I think I discovered the same thing the hard way when I did mine....

Paul

Garmin has been promising to fix this for three years

that I know of. It seems that this is a software issue that aviation output can only be on one of the four serial outputs.

I assumed that the GNS-430W would include the fix but apparently it has not.

bruce
N297NW
RV-8 (449 TT)

MSFT-1 said:
that I know of. It seems that this is a software issue that aviation output can only be on one of the four serial outputs.

I assumed that the GNS-430W would include the fix but apparently it has not.

bruce
N297NW
RV-8 (449 TT)
I guess I don't see the problem and Garmin probably does not either-which is why they have not changed it. If you have "Aviation Out" on one port and this can be wired to multiple devices, the inability to set "Aviation Out" on additional ports become a non-issue.

I think builders should stop thinking of the GNS-400/500 serial out ports as discrete ports and more like a data buss. Then it is simply a matter of turning on the required data on a bus and then attaching devices that require that data to the bus.

I can't think of any scenario that an additional "Aviation Out" setting on a separate port would make things easier/simpler.

w1curtis said:
I think builders should stop thinking of the GNS-400/500 serial out ports as discrete ports and more like a data buss. Then it is simply a matter of turning on the required data on a bus and then attaching devices that require that data to the bus.
Excellent advice imho! (another who learned this the hard way with my GX60)

w1curtis said:
I can't think of any scenario that an additional "Aviation Out" setting on a separate port would make things easier/simpler.

It's been a while, but I don't remember that the manuals spell this limitation out clearly. If you are aware of it up front, not an issue. If the panel is installed and wired, and then you go to set up the data ports, it's an issue. Don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes: