myrv

I'm New Here
I have a compressor that outputs 6.8 scfm @ 90psi.

So far it has worked great.

I broke down and just bought a siox drill, but according to the documentation it requires 12 scfm @ 90 psi.

What is the impact of running a tool that requires 12 scfm off a compressor that can only output 6? I don't want to damage my new tool.......

I was also thinking of putting inline lubrication in now that I am using more and more tools that require lubircation, will the scfm effect the drip rate of the lubricant?

Storage is the answer

The compressor cant keep up with the drill, for a long period of usage.

It should do fine for short usage---------all depends.

The size of your storage tank is more important than the CFM of the pump, unless you run the drill----------or any other tool-------for extended periods.

You just have to give it a try, see what happens. If the compressor isnt up to the job, adding more storage via a second tank may be the cheaper way to go.

Good luck

...and you'd have to have the trigger pulled for over 57% of the time for extended periods for it to begin to matter.

I would consider anything that's ever been downstream of an inline oiler as "never to be used again" for anything related to finishing/painting. But, no, oiler performance is unrelated to the pump's CFM output rating.

My Lowes/Campbell Haus. compressor is exactly what you have in terms of performance. You will never need more capacity or CFM than what you have unless you choose to paint. In fact, what you have is more than adequate for priming. Yes, it will come on more frequently, but it's never been a big deal to me.

Compressor

I had the same size, 6.8 cfm @ 90 lb., for 20 years...painted acrylic enamels, lacquars, (Mostly cars)and Emron (Cessna 170) and it did okay but was always marginal. Power drills and sanders would exceed the capacity but would still work if I used it in short bursts to let the compressor catch up. For riveting it is more than enough. I have since replaced it with a much larger unit (11.5 cfm at 100 lbs.) because I also moved toward more air driven tools but the small one rebuilt two airplanes and much of an RV6 so it will do the job.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD 210 hours
RV8 wings
Northfield, MN