alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm planning on picking up my wing kit, if possible, in mid-May. However, the wing spar crate is 186 inches long (15.5 feet). I think the largest trailer I will be able to rent is 12 feet long. Is this going to be a problem, or is the wing spar crate sturdy enough to allow it to hang 3.5 feet off the back of the trailer unsupported? I will be driving about 250-300 miles, mostly on interstate. Any thoughts or suggestions for those who have done something like this in the past?

Steve

U-Haul has car haulers that are longer but may be a little pricey. You could buy a 16 foot trailer and then sell it when your done and come out better.

If available in your area, you may want to investigate a Ryder. I had to relocate approx. 150 miles and used a 22 footer from Ryder to move my QB fuesalage and slow build completed wings. Is was completely flat on the inside so I was able to fully utilize all the space inside. You'll probably find that U-Hauls (most are 1970's vintage) have the fender wells on the inside of the box, which may be cramped. Given the distance you are traveling, it's probably worth spending a few extra bucks for fully enclosed transportation.

Good luck! :D

Pickup will do...

FWIW - I brought my 6 wing kit home in an Isuzu pickup (that is a small pickup!). The spar is the long box, which ended up overhanging the cab and tailgate. Skins & ribs box went in the bed first. Couple of straps, a red towel, and all was good for the trip across town. 400 Lbs. is no sweat for a half ton. Bring a couple pads for the cab, and a buddy to wrestle the boxes with you and all will be fine. The boxes are built for brutes and you will not be able to damage the contents unless you total your pickup in the process. A forklift is great for loading, but I was able to unload the truck solo. Go for it.

I used our 3-horse slant load trailer when I picked up my wing kit, (cleaned out, natch). Roadway loaded the 2 crates into the trailer. The wife and I unloaded the crates ourselves at the hangar using 2 furniture dollys.
Steve

A buddy's full size pickup truck w/ 8' foot bed (10' foot with tail gate down) worked great for the spar box. Yes, a good bit of it hung out the back but we strapped it down good, put a red flag on it, and I followed in my '93 Nissan Pickup with the skin box in the bed of my little truck.

BTW, the fuselage box only needs eight feet which translates into a 6' foot bed with the tailgate down.

I have no clue as to what size truck I'll need for the finishing kit.

Finish Kit hauling

Van's has a list of box sizes & weights on the website. www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/weights.pdf A 2/4 place finish kit will fit in any pickup, as the boxes are 39" or 49" wide. Take some pallets to create a platform between the wheel wells if it is too narrow between them.