alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Can a fellow -9 builder confirm that the length specified in the plans for the large elevator pushrod is sufficient? I'm ready to cut my tube and seem to remember a discussion about how the plans called for a tube that was too short. However, now I can't find that thread, if it ever existed. Following Van's specs., were your elevator pushrods long enough? Thanks for any confirmation one way or the other.

I'd stick that rod in there & measure it to exact fit, with plenty of threads for screwing them in, at least one half of the threads or more. Don't know about the 9 plans, but I always had to re-do them on the 6, if going by plan dimensions.

On my 7 (ought to be the same as your 9) the fat rear pushrod length was okay, but if anything I wish I'd made the skinny front pushrod 1/4" longer than the plans call for. Mine has acceptable thread engagement but a little extra length would have given me more options for adjusting the neutral position of the sticks.

For reference, to see if it's the same for my 7 and your 9, my plans call for the length of the F-790 tube to be 81.5" and the specified length of the F-789 tube is 45 15/16".

mcb

Not sure if the 9 is the same as the 7 but I just put mine in a few minutes ago. Adjusted the pushrod to 85 27/32 as instructed. The probably put about 3 extra turns PAST the halfway point in both rod ends. Installed. Nailed it! Bellcrank was straight up and down and the elevator was level.

You ever have one of those "Van's, you're freakin' incredible!" moments? That was mine... for today.

RV-9A elevator pushrods shorter than -7A?

Any 9 owners out there? I just cut both elevator pushrods, 1/4" over plan length for now.

The plans call for the fat pushrod to be 81 1/2 inch, and the thin pushrod to be 45 9/16. That's a bit shorter than the -7 numbers quoted above.

Any -9 owners have direct experience with these pushrods?

Also, do you guys drill these in assembly, then remove the ends for deburring? They are a pretty tight fit and will be hard to remove. What have others done?

Vans knows

I cut both the elev P-rods exactly per Vans spec and they fit perfectly ....the long one fit just like Bob said above. A couple of thread turns and everything was aligned vertical. I drilled them in assembly on a drill press. No sweat. :D

wait

I would wait till you install the wings, do one end only for now, I went to plans
on my 9a and they were too short so i bought new tubes, I wanted the bearings screwed in way more than the plans. when you install the wings
and are setting the neutral then do the cut whats the rush ?

Danny..

thanks guys

Terry - thanks for the info. I'll trim them to Van's length (or a bit longer :)) After you drilled the pushrods, did you pull the ends out to debur? That was really hard on the aileron rods.

Danny - I'm doing the elevator pushrods... I already cut the aileron ones, but I added a bit because I heard they can run short.

elevator push rods

I cut the elevator rods to plans and they were pefect.. your all set..

Danny..

pull ends to debur

By putting a maleable slide hammer inside before fitting the ends - a 2' pc of 3/4" Sq oak in my case. Bounce it up and down a few times and *pop* out comes that near-press-fit end.

YMMV Rick

Re: Deburring

Yes, with a little effort , I took the ends out for deburring of all pieces. This, BTW, is another case where a Cogsdill Burraway tool is worth its weight in gold.

fit fine

I think mine would have worked fine too, but I wanted the bearing screwed
in a little futher than the plans called for..