MartinPred

Well Known Member
Sponsor
If you were following the saga of my RV-4 at the North Las Vegas airport, here's an update: I'm back in the air!

After going five or six rounds with the FAA, it was clear that I just wasn't going to make any progress trying to get permission to launch out of VGT with my new Catto three-blade. The FSDO insisted that the exact same make and model of prop that I had on before the prop strike be installed before I was allowed to depart. They just wouldn't back down from thier position that no Phase I testing and no ferry permits are allowed out of VGT.

So I finally bit the bullet and ordered a brand new Sensenich Wood--either that or pull the wings and truck the plane out, and the prop was cheaper.

The Senesenich folks were great. I talked to one of thier engineers and he put me at the top of the list. They had the new prop to me in about three weeks! And it flew great...for the 1.0 that it took me to get down to Jean and do some touch and gos (the plane had been sitting at VGT for about 10 months at that point).

Once at Jean, I installed the new Catto. A few days later the FSDO inpsector came out, issued me my new operating limitations, and I flew the five hours off to get back into Phase II.

The Catto has been better than I hoped--with about a 15% increase in performmance across the board.

Since then I've flown the plane all the way across the country to Langely AFB in Virginia where I live. With a few minor exceptions, the plane flew like a rocket ship all the way.

Thanks for the all the help and advice from the all the Van heads out there.

-Matt
402BD

P.S. If anyone is interested in a pristine Sensenich wood for an O-360, I can drive you an easy bargain. Send me a PM.