aviatorskate

I'm New Here
As an A&P Mechanic for the last 24 years and having completed too many 100 hr and annual inspections to remember my question is; Can I sign off my yearly (conditional) inspection on the experimental that I built and operate ?

Craig

As an A&P Mechanic for the last 24 years and having completed too many 100 hr and annual inspections to remember my question is; Can I sign off my yearly (conditional) inspection on the experimental that I built and operate ?

Craig
Yes, any A&P mechanic can sign off the annual condition inspection for any experimental homebuilt aircraft. Even if you were not an A&P you could apply for a Repairman's Certificate that would allow you to sign off condition inspections for a specific aircraft that you built.

Oh, and please note that the inspection may be "conditional" on a few things it is actually a "condition inspection."

Last edited:
Uhh - yeah!

I believe you have your choice of ways to do it :cool:
As the builder, you can get your Repairman certificate for that plane, OR you can just sign if off as an A&P.
Getting your repairman certificate may seem like overkill, but then again I think it would allow you to do the condition inspection on your plane even if you managed to lose your A&P certification :eek:

I don't believe an IA is necessary. An A&P can sign off the condition inspection, or the builder with a repairman certificate.

Jim

When I applied for the repairman certificate at the Fort Worth FISDO the inspector wanted to know why I wanted the certificate since I had my A&P and did not need it to sign off the condition inspection. He kept my paperwork and to this date, five years later, I have not received my repairman certificate or a letter denying it. So, yes you can sign off your own condition inspection...

I haven't needed to get an IA while working in the capacity of QA Manager or Chief Inspector under Repair Station FAR's.

BTW

BTW, the rules are different for LSA aircraft, particularaly S-LSA. In many cases an A&P can not perform work on an LSA plane. It may require a LSA Repairman certificate.

And Rotax doesn't allow you to work on their engines unless you have received proper Rotax training.

These rules don't apply to E-AB aircraft that meet the LSA specs.

Very Confusing, and hoping a DAR will step in here and set me straight!!:rolleyes:

OTOH, some S-LSA operating limitations (manual) state that an A&P can work on the airframe.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::eek: