Dan_E_Root

From my prior thread about pre-inspection certifications, you folks know I'm really close to FAA certification, and my first flight. Most first flight pictures I've seen don't have leg fairings installed. If I fly without them, should I be concerned about protecting the the brake lines? I see that some have forms installed on the legs, but others do not.

What precautions have you taken when flying without leg fairings, what problems have you had, and how did you rectify the sitchy-ashun?

Best Regards, Dan

I flew without mine.

I idea was that the extra drag was good for engine break in. Anyway I didn't have any problems with the brake lines. I only landed on paved runways until I put the fairings on.

Have a good first flight.

Kent

One thing to keep in mind is that your final trim/rigging may be affected by the gear fairing alignment. No point in playing around with rudder trim tabs until you've added the fairings. Also, if you've not yet installed the wheel fairings, you need to be aware that some builders have seen fractures in the attach brackets that have been subject to slipstream for extended time.

Fairings

Install the fairings before you fly. Trying to put them on at the airport will be a hassle. Getting them done before you fly will be easier. Life is short, you fairings will make you plane fly faster and without them you will notice some buffeting at higher speeds. Wrap the brake lines with spiral wrap and then elect tape them to the gear legs. Install your stiffeners when you get you fairings aligned. Some people fly without them for various reasons, mostly because they are a pain to install and take time. However, you will not be able to tell how your plane is truely going to fly until they are installed.