afii58

have a chance to buy a lio 360-cie6 200hp lycoming for rv8 that am building. Anybody know what is needed to change the rotation from left to right and where to get it. also any other suggestions on what to consider before putting this engine on a rv8, unsure what the "cie6" refers too...do know tha it is a wide deck, angle valve engine....thanks

I'm not sure on all of the details but you will at least need a different camshaft since they set the timing. You might also need different counter balances, crank, gears, and accessories depending on what depends on direction.

In other words, I would contact an engine builder and have a firm quote and have it all figured out before you proceed.

schu

have a chance to buy a lio 360-cie6 200hp lycoming for rv8 that am building. Anybody know what is needed to change the rotation from left to right and where to get it. also any other suggestions on what to consider before putting this engine on a rv8, unsure what the "cie6" refers too...do know tha it is a wide deck, angle valve engine....thanks

As Schu mentions above, the camshaft is different due to the reversed rotation. The letter C in C1E6 means that it has rear mounted horizontal induction. This can be converted to forward mounted horizontal induction with some machining of the pad on the front of the sump. A gasket and plate will need to be mounted to block the rear induction port. The sump sits about 2" further back when compared to the native forward facing horizontal induction engines (such as the IO-360-Axx) The C style sump will work with tail dragger RVs, but not with the 8A. The sump will foul the motor mount before the engine meets it's 4 rubber mounts. The 6 in C1E6 means that the engine has a counter-weighted crankshaft.
Charlie Kuss

Last edited:
Left

First of all, welcome to the Forums.

Look to the left of your first post, just below the Brown Tool ad. You will see the ad for Barrett Precision Engines. They're among the best engine engine people on the planet. They can give you the correct info.

Oil pump?

In addition to the cam, surely the oil pump or drive gears would need to be changed as well. Now that I think about it, impulse mags don't work in reverse and the vacuum pump would rotate backwards as well. Perhaps a whole new accessory drive case?

Maybe better to let it run backwards and use the appropriate prop?

Maybe better to let it run backwards and use the appropriate prop?
If you chose this route, you will need a new engine mount with left thrust instead of the standard right thrust. Also make sure that the vertical stabilizer is not offset to the left.

thanks for all the input, really appreciate it...actually asked vans about just running a left prop, but they said it wouldn't work, because the p factor is built into the engine mount angle, thanks again, will consider the cost of all the mods and go from there.

Art

Hi Art,

This is one of those cases where in the end it's probably just not worth the effort unless the engine is free. It's a lot of work, a decent bit of money, and the end result is sort of a kludged together engine.

I'll probably get a little flamed for this, but - I'd encourage you to just go get a parallel valve 360 (it's arguable a better engine to begin with, and the RV8's really are balanced nicely with that lighter engine up front). Go bolt one on and fly! No tinkering, no weird conglomeration of parts, and something that is easily supported moving forward. Plus, if you ever go to sell it, a standard engine is much easier to market.

That's just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Yeah but. It would be cool to show up at various airport and airshows with an RV that had a prop turning backwards it would drive people nuts thinking they were seeing things.

Reverse Turning

There's an RV4 in Northern CA with an IO360 reverse tuning engine. I think 2 guys bought a twin for the engines and the guy in CA drew the short straw.

Steve Barnes the Builders Coach

Airframe changes

With a reverse turning engines, what airframe changes are there besides the vertical stab incidence? How about thrust angles and engine offset? sounds like a lot more trouble that it is worth, even if the engine is free. Just my $0.01 worth.

Johnnystick
RV10 wannabe