moll780

Well Known Member
So with all my cold start issues someone mentioned that maybe I have a left mag issue...
This morning getting ready to go to Taylor for their fly-in and mag check... Left mag is running very rough with the engine sputtering and unable to keep a smooth rpm. Arg!
So.. Should I just rebuild or replace with an electronic unit?
Any recommendations?

So with all my cold start issues someone mentioned that maybe I have a left mag issue...
This morning getting ready to go to Taylor for their fly-in and mag check... Left mag is running very rough with the engine sputtering and unable to keep a smooth rpm. Arg!
So.. Should I just rebuild or replace with an electronic unit?
Any recommendations?
You don?t know much yet, you could have a fouled plug or just need to set you point gap in the mag.

The fastest and cheapest way to get back in the air is, of course, re-build the mag. I've had two LSE systems with an aggregate 2,600 hours on them and will use one if I build the 14. If you go LSE, I recommend either the direct crank trigger or better yet, the mini sensor.
I've easily saved the cost of the LSE's in fuel saved; it's almost 1 gallon/hour at 17.5

deek

That is your impulse mag. You want to keep that one, and replace the right one when it is time to go electronic ign.

arg.. so I take the cowling off and what do I find? Plug lead completely off on #2 and number 4 loose by 2/3rds turn.
re-attached and put everything back together and she starts up like a champ!
Cant believe it was something sooo stupid and thankful it was cheap!

But.. I like the idea of going with one LSE on the right mag.

What is the simplest and easiest kit to install?

That is your impulse mag. You want to keep that one, and replace the right one when it is time to go electronic ign.

Not to derail topic

I don't mean to derail the topic but I live in Austin and didn't hear about the Taylor fly-in. Where was it posted? Thanks.

Electronic

Look into Robert Paisley's EFII electronic ignition before you make your decision. I'm extremely pleased with mine. His ad is on the forums here.

I have his dual setup on my -8 and I easily save over a gallon per hr. at 7,500ft:)

First things first

arg.. so I take the cowling off and what do I find? Plug lead completely off on #2 and number 4 loose by 2/3rds turn.
re-attached and put everything back together and she starts up like a champ!
Cant believe it was something sooo stupid and thankful it was cheap!

Gil,

I think your most important question at this point is "why did one plug lead fall off and another one get so loose?".

Who is doing your maintenance? Is it time to ground the plane until a thorough inspection is completed?

Last edited:
I am running dual e-mags. Starts easily and runs well. Only about 150 hours so far on an o-320 with no problems. I would not change unless one mag fails or it is time to overhaul.

Loose stuff

Might be time to look over the complete engine install and put a wrench on everything that can be reached. If problems are found continue aft to the tail nav light. Pay an A&P or somebody if you have to. Be safe out there.

Don B
RV9 Rebuild in Progress

I just completed the conditional.
Must have hand tightened those bottom 2 and forgot to return. (wont happen again!)
Today while I had the top and bottom cowl off I went over all the leads, plugs, mounts, oil drain/filter and any screws/bolts and nuts I could reach by hand. All is good.

I'll rebuild the left and replace the right with a new eMag when the time comes.

Ditto Sam & Don about checking & putting a wrench on everything as your first concern.