Wilkie

Hi All,

Here's an idea for those of you that are planning to cut the tabs off the left elevator where the trim tab cutout is and make a "false" rib..

While searching for some scrap aluminum to make the false rib, I came across my practice airfoil project that I purchased from Vans' before I began this project.

Anyhow, the end ribs on the airfoil project match the contour of the elevator trim tab cutout perfectly.

I drilled out the rivets and removed one of the end ribs from the practice project, and then cut the last 3 1/4" off of the rib. Ta-Da.........A false rib.

Wilkie
St. Louis, MO

Careful. The chord of the practice airfoil may not be the same as the elevator at the root. Be sure you've got the exact airfoil shape before committing to using that puppy!

Dan,

It can't be any worse than what the end of most first time trim tabs come out looking like... yes, I've been there too.

Wilke,

Smoking hot idea! Those little ribs are not real easy to make (bend) into shape.

Here's what Van's said; "You can buy the ribs if you want. They are the aileron ribs for the RV-9A - A-905-L & R. $2.75ea. They are not exactly the same profile as the trim tab on the 6/7/8, though they might be close
enough to make it work OK".

Vans

Last edited: