RVdreamin

Guys,

The two rivets that attach the outer rib to spar on the elevator.....I was not satisfied with one of the rivets and chose to replace it. In the process of drilling it out (tight area) if kinda elongated the hole. It is spec'd for a 470D4-4 rivet. I would like to drill it out and install a larger rivet. Van's support did not see this as an issue, but what do you guys say. In short I want to replace a 4-4 rivet with the next size up...I would guess a 470D5-4 or 5.

Thanks

The #5 rivet takes a lot of bucking energy to set and will likely warp those thin layers of aluminum. If you feel the need for something more that Vans suggested "not an issue," perhaps a third rivet?

Screws are in general not structural and not terribly good in shear. In addition they don't swell to fill holes like rivets and thus have a negative effect on fatigue life of the structure.

If the hole is completely clean and round at a nominal 5/32" dia, an AD5 rivet per Vans' guidance would be preferred. Borrow a pneumatic squeezer if you have concerns about damaging the structure by driving rivets.

Guys,

Up to this point everything has went very well. I am going to try a 5 rivet, but if it doesn't look right or seat correctly I will just do a redo the left elevator. It will be about $200.00 bucks which in the large scheme of things is not much. I'm sort of leaning that way anyway because its just going to bother me :)