RV10Rob

Well Known Member
Looking at the standard float fuel senders, I can't tell the difference between the left and right. They both look and act (in terms of resistance) the same. What am I missing? I thought maybe they gave me two of the same, but the correct part numbers are etched on each.

-Rob

there is a difference

yes the resistence is the same, BUT there is a difference in the orientation of the left vs the right. I had to buy a replacement because I did not notice they were different until too late and then had to buy another.

good luck,

They are mirror image!

The mounting holes are drilled so that you cannot swap the two once they have been installed correctly.

It may not matter...

yes the resistence is the same, BUT there is a difference in the orientation of the left vs the right. I had to buy a replacement because I did not notice they were different until too late and then had to buy another.

good luck,

I think the only effect you would see (provided the float moved over it's range) would be a revesal of the direction of resistance change from high to low fuel levels.

If you are using a newer EMS (such as a Dynon) there is a good chance that this will make no difference since the actual reistance would be calibrated for each tank, and the EMS does not care in which fuel level direction the sender resistance increases.

Check your manuals...

Of course, if you are using Vans senders (or similar automotive ones), then the L and R orientation does matter...:)

Thanks, all. I did mark them "L" and "R" and install the correct one in each tank, though I didn't know what made it correct. Mel nailed it--the bolt holes are different, and that's it. Don't know how I missed it earlier.

-Rob