douglassmt

Well Known Member
I have been evaluating whether to use LEDs or traditional position/strobe lights on my RV-10. At first I thought the cost difference between LEDs and traditional nav/pos/strobes was much greater. However, as I looked into it, I realized that the costs are pretty close. Two mistakes I made in my initial evaluation might be made by others. I assumed (incorrectly) that the $95 wingtip landing lights sold by Van's included the wingtip pos/strobe lights because both are in all the pictures on the Van's website and catalog - it is a bit deceiving, though I'm sure not intentional. I also neglected to include the cost (and weight) of the strobe power supply. So, this is how the two options priced out for me, using pricing on Van's website for AeroLEDs products:

Traditionals lights/strobes
Wingtip nav/pos/strobes: 2 each A650-PG-14 = $338
Power supply for three strobes= $390
Tail Position/strobe (LN A500-14) = $144
Total = $872

Aero Leds
Suntail = $340
NS90 = $760/pair
Total = $1100

Difference = $228

This does not include or consider the higher cost and hassle and weight of strobe wiring or the increased reliability of the LEDs or the possibility of RF interference with the longer runs of strobe wires needed with the traditional system. It also assumes the LEDs are as bright or brighter than the traditional lights, which I cannot verify personally but have heard/read anecdotally they are very close.

In my view, for a difference of $228 there is no reason not to use the LEDs. My initial error in the evaluation is probably due to me being new at this, but others may be in the same boat. Thought I'd post it for general consumption.

The led position lights on my bird will burn your retinas...they cast a mean beam, but the diodes are quite directional unlike incandescent lights. You must take proper care to "aim" the diodes while assembling. (Mine came as a kit that you had to solder up...back in the old days, we had to mine our own diodes...blah blah blah) :)

but the diodes are quite directional unlike incandescent lights.

That is more like feature which is normal for some LEDs. Especially those very common and old 5 mm LEDs are quite directional having angle about 15 - 25 degrees. However current high power LEDs can have angle about 140 degrees meaning they will have ? of the light coming to 140 degrees compared to their maximum output.

And yet this makes the comparison of LEDs a bit more difficult as one is having larger angle while another brand will have more luminosity... which one is better? Depends of the particular application of course.

But I do agree that compared to incandescent lamps the LEDs can be considered quite directional.

Long Term Costs

I think you have it pretty much nailed down. The initial cost of the LEDs are a little higher, but if you consider life cycle costs, I think we are better off going with LEDs.

If you have owned older aircraft as I have, you can spend spend quite a few dollars on landing lights, position lights, strobe tubes, and eventually, that strobe power supply will go. It doesn't take long to spend that extra 200 bucks.

I'm betting that once the LEDs survive infant mortality (typically under warranty), they'll be good for a long, long time.

With fingers crossed,

Don

They were Aveo's. In the air, in formation under low visibility in daylight with another RV flying formation. The traditional strobes were much more visible, and it was obvious.

Then I'm not surprised. The early Aveo's measure quite low (50 effecive candela or so). The AeroLEDs Suntail and Pulsar NS series exceed 400 effective candela, which is the TSO requirement.

Strobes and position lights

Check out Strobes N More. If you are doing wing tip enclosures you can buy the TIR3 Position lights for 49.99 and 59.99. also look at the SNM Pro4 strobe setup for 159.99 ( the same as Spruce Part# 11-04411 for a lot less)the only thing you will need in addition is the tail position and strobe unit that you can get from Spruce (PN 11-03721) and you may be able to find that of less with a bit of research.

I have them in my 7A and have had no issues in fact the LEDs are so bright I can check them in the hanger in daylight without having to get out of the cockpit they reflect off the hanger walls, Try that with a traditional bulb.
You can find all of this at www.strobesnmore.com

Regards,
Larry
N13LF