N941WR

Legacy Member
FYI -

Yesterday afternoon I took a break from riveting and went to a custom car / hot rod show and found this vendor for LED lights, Jam Strait. Some of their products look like they would work for interior lights.

Also, for those of you who want to add a Cup Holder, just look at the price before ordering.

Oh, and some of the custom work we saw put our RV building to shame.

N941WR said:
Also, for those of you who want to add a Cup Holder, just look at the price before ordering.

That's pretty slick but the price makes me think you could put 12v to $39 cdrom drive from staples and do almost the same thing. :D

The guy I went with is a Body Hanger for Hindricks Motor Sports (Read, builds cars for NASCAR.) and he KNOWS cars!

The guy is building a 460 cupic inch Corbra replica and his work is first rate. Heck, he has even ofered to roll some aluminum wing tips for me. I would go for that but since my bird is going to be painted I would hate for him to to all that trouble and cover them up. If only I didn't have thtat one dent on my leading edge!

He was looking for cup holders for his car and I thought they would work great in my -9, right up until I saw the price. OUCH!

I'm still trying to figure out why he wants cup holders, between the power of that car and the way he drives I think the only type of cup he could use in that thing would be a kids sippy cup.

Captain_John said:
I bet he is building a Factory Five car.
Nope, it is some kit out of FL, I'm not sure which one.

One of my other hobbys is SCCA Autocrossing and being one of the local instructors I get to drive a bunch of different cars every year the Factory Five is the only car that I will no longer ride, drive, or instruct in. The suspension is usually are so out of wack, not to mention the brake biase, then toss in way too much power and a guys who think the solution to everything is to plant the right foot, except when going around a corner then they want to lift and if that wasn't enough, they actually want to get on the brakes in a corner. No thank you.

Of all the Cobra kits I've seen, probably the best it Superformance. Well made, good selection of parts to start with and not as flexiable as the FF replicas.

(My appologies to anyone who might own a Factory Five, the above is my experiance with four or five different samples.)

Wow, well they have a good rep around here.

My brother's boss loves his, but it is just a sunday driver.

Me, I am into airplanes.

My feelings are still intact.

Don't ever say any disparaging comments about my pet rock collection or I am gonna have to fly down there and beat your A$$!

:p CJ

Captain_John said:
Don't ever say any disparaging comments about my pet rock collection or I am gonna have to fly down there and beat your A$$
Then it's probably a good thing I took out my comments about scrap booking stuff, as both you and my wife would be kicking my A$$! ;)

The FF Cobras are cool but they are like T-Bucket roadsters, great Sunday drivers but get them on a curvy road and I'll take my "lightly" modified Miata any day. At our last track event I came in between the two Z-06's that were running and that was with a sick engine. :D I'll take a good suspension and brakes over a big engine any day!

Gary,

I have no idea if Lone Star's are good or not, I've never seen one. Take a look at the suspension and see how it is set up and if it adjustable for rake, caster, and camber. Then look at the brakes and make sure they are up to the task. I'm not a fan of solid rear axles as they are really only good for drag racing. The Superformance uses an independent rear suspension which is what makes it so nice.

FYI, the guys at Superformance recommend going with the 5.0 engine and building it up to max HP rather than dropping in a 427. The reason being is it puts less weight on front wheels and really, how much HP do you need in an 1800 lb car? (As much as my wheels can handle!)

To put that into prospective, a friend who runs his own Speed Shop has a Miata that puts down well over 300 HP to the ground has one minor problem, lack of traction. He can spin the wheels at 60 and that WILL get your attention!

As for safety, forgetaboutit! Unless you add a full cage and six point harness, you will be in for a load of hurt if you wack one of these things. At the car show this weekend we saw one Cobra replica (Factory Five, I think) that had an aluminum roll hoop bolted to it and the welds look really bad. That makes me wonder about the rest of the car.

plastic cup holder

I know there are some factory car cup holders that work this way. They are no doubt plastic, lighter and cheaper (junk yard). I am not sure what make model car but a friend put one in his RV-6 a few years back. Cool G