Wesael

Well Known Member
Do any of you have specific experiance with these? I ordered 4 of them for a test and if they work out I am considering lining both sides of the runway and ends.

Would be used only on occation however would need to be functional on those occations to even consider being worthwile.

11-09386.jpg

We are using them at our airpark, and they work great as runway edge identifiers - in addition to our actual runway lights.

Our runway is very narrow, and not centered between the runway lights - it also sits in a dark hole. So you don't get any indication of where the pavement is until you flare - and that can be ugly. We added these edge lights about every fifty feet, and it gives a nice outline for where the pavement actually is. We have them at each end (red and green) to show the end of the runway - we have four of them in a row on each side.

They remain lit pretty much all night - they really do a good job in that regard!

In short - great idea to outline the runway, but they won't really help you find the runway from a distance - you will only see them when you are lined up (they are very directional).

Hope all that helps!

Paul

Just a caution:

We've experimented with LED runway & taxiway edge lights at many airports. In ice & snow conditions, the LEDs aren't hot enough to melt any snow or ice off the lights. The LEDs we use now are heated using a separate element.

If you're in a cold climate and depend on runway lighting, it may be an issue that's important for you.

Just a caution:

We've experimented with LED runway & taxiway edge lights at many airports. In ice & snow conditions, the LEDs aren't hot enough to melt any snow or ice off the lights. The LEDs we use now are heated using a separate element.

If you're in a cold climate and depend on runway lighting, it may be an issue that's important for you.

Ice and snow are not a problem here...at least 99% of the time.

But thanks for the information. I would not have thought about that.

Hey Weasel,

I've got several of them here at Slobovia; the EAA sent them to me to review a year or two ago. They work great to mark the steps to my deck, but they are worthless as runway lights. We glued one on top of a standard reflector to compare with our standard runway lights. On-axis, they are about 20-30% as bright as a standard light. Off-axis, they just about disappear. The built-in battery will keep them on for most of (but not all) the night, *if* the preceding day had plenty of sunlight. So, not too reliable for a must-access strip.

FWIW,

Charlie

Those lights are fantastic!

We have those lights lining our private strip on the farm. They come on at dusk and stay on all night. I have no idea how they can stay on that long and produce 30 lumens. It may not sound like much but keep in mind that the lights are angled up and are even more impressive viewed off the ground. Our ag pilot has nothing but great things to say about them. They take a beating, are easy to install and so far have required no maintenance. Supposedly the tar backing lasts as long as the internals work, but we will see how close the timing is.

MFG for LED's

Who is the maker of these lights, do you have a link?

Also, does anyone information on LED's and or strobes used as a replacement for an airport rotation beacon.

Thanks