rocketbob

Well Known Member
I've flown a few times with guys with wingtip strobes from various manufacturers in less than ideal conditions, 3-5mi viz. Just a casual observation, but I have found them not nearly as visible as traditional strobes.

LEDs strobes flash light for longer durations, but at far lower brightness, where strobes are completely opposite.

Now I don't have videos of this, but I would like to see someone prove me wrong by doing a real-world test. Get two airplanes side-by-side, one with LED strobes and one with traditional ones, flown in low-VFR viz with the video airplane 1-2 miles away. I think it might surprise a lot of folks.

Last edited:
Thanks for that observation, I'm waiting to see what comes out in the next few years as far as lighting goes on my build but, I have seen on here where one was using the over the road emergency vehicle strobes, can't remember the name. I would like to been seen.

I am quite interested also to see what this thread produces. I am using the AeroLEDs on my 12, Vans supplied, and my only observation was at Oshkosh, and it was my feeling that they were in fact BRIGHTER than the alternatives (and using far less power).

I think the brighter, shorter duration flashes penetrate moisture a lot better, roughly analagous to AC voltages being superior for conducting across longer distances.

I'd love to have LED strobes in my rocket but right now I have a Novastrobe 90W PS and strobes. Based on my experiences I can't justify dumping them for LED's even though they draw far less power, are lighter, and easier to install. The end result is to throw out light others can see and I'm not convinced even the high-$$ LED's are as effective.

I would be interested in thoughts on this topic. My RV3 does not currently have any lights & I want at least wingtip nav & strobe lights. The main reason to just help visability. The LED look like the way to go for me due to cost & ease of instilation. However, I do want BRIGHT.:cool:. I would like to see some real world test or comparisons of different types & brands of strobes.

Shannon Evans

My experience has been the opposite

I have the AeroLeds strobes on my Rocket and have been told several times that they are noticeably brighter than the strobes on other airplanes. The comments have come from other pilots and the tower personnel.

FWIW.

easy safe test

If you can find both types of planes at one airport, an easy test is to do it on a foggy morning. Place both planes at one end of the airport / taxiway and take a video camera to the other end. Record the results.

Or better yet, on a CLEAR sunny day, see how far away they can be noticed. THAT is the configuration I am concerned with, daytime visibility.

We've got the AeroLED Pulsars (Nav and Strobes) and Aerosun 1600 (Landing lights) on the RV-3, and I can tell you that watching it come down final, it is FAR more visible than either of our other two planes - and the standard Duckworks bulbs on the 20+ year old RV-6 have always seemed plenty bright to me. I think that the Wig-Wag function on the Aerosun is probably the brightest I have seen (incandescent, HID's, LED's...), since they are instantly "on" at full brightness (they don't fade up).

All qaulitative Bob...and I haven't really tried to see the strobes at a distance.

Paul

This is definitely one of those times that depends on what you have and who made it. Contrary to many claims that some companies or individual people make, there are only a few who can actually prove their unit brightness. It is why we only recommend certain brands of products (that may indeed cost more than some alternatives) and also why some of the roll your own versions just aren't as successfull as some would lead you to believe. We;ve installed most everything from Aeroflash, Whelen, police strobes, some other LED's, but overall we like AeroLED as our primary choice.

In the end I can say that some indeed are quite a bit weaker, some are equal, and some are brighter (depends on what you're comparing it to). Of course much of it is subjective, but not the actual data from the certification tests!

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

One of the design features I really liked about my LED position lights is that they use a reflector to disperse / reflect the light evenly.

However, when the price of the LED systems come down to a realistic level, I plan on replacing them.

As for the landing lights, the 100W halogen Duckworth units I have put out plenty of light. Just like the position lights and strobes, within the next few years I expect the LED technology to improve to the point that replacing those halogen bulbs with LED?s will be economically feasible.

from a tower perspective, wig-wags are easier to find than strobes (though they are more directional than strobes). LED landing lights are immediately noticeable compared to their HID counterparts (they just look different/cleaner/easier to find). Can't comment on the strobes as I didn't even know they made LED strobes :eek:

Flying around in great visibility, I've noticed that the landing lights, especially the wig-wag kinds, are far more visible than any strobes. In good weather conditions strobes aren't real visible.

I'd like to see people start mounting landing lights in the sides of their fuselages for better vis in the daytime.

And if you're out there flying, please, please, have the transponder on and encoding. My Xaon XRX will pick it up and I can avoid you.

Thanks,
Dave

That is reassuring, since my old eyes don't spot other planes very good any more.

Flying around in great visibility, I've noticed that the landing lights, especially the wig-wag kinds, are far more visible than any strobes. In good weather conditions strobes aren't real visible.

I'd like to see people start mounting landing lights in the sides of their fuselages for better vis in the daytime.

And if you're out there flying, please, please, have the transponder on and encoding. My Xaon XRX will pick it up and I can avoid you.

Thanks,
Dave

Aveo

I have the Aveo strobes, position and landing/taxi lights on my 7. While flying through Goodyear AZ airspace I asked the tower how the lights looked. I cycled through the lights and the controller noted that they were much brighter than the flight school planes. Good to know.

Very important to me is the fact they are electrically silent with no special wiring. Nothing more annoying than electrical noise. The helicopter I fly at work has a click in the headset when our mandatory pulse light is on. Very annoying!!!!

Thanks,
Dave
And if I'm out flying a no electrics J-3, Champ, T-Craft, sail plane, etc., please pull your head out of the cockpit long enough to scan for me so you can avoide me too.

We have a customer with a Taylorcraft who installed our lights and runs them off of a rechargeable battery... the FSDO approved it.

And if I'm out flying a no electrics J-3, Champ, T-Craft, sail plane, etc., please pull your head out of the cockpit long enough to scan for me so you can avoide me too.

We have a customer with a Taylorcraft who installed our lights and runs them off of a rechargeable battery... the FSDO approved it.

Ummm...

That comment was in reference to having a transponder on. My '41 T-craft had a wind driven generator mounted down between the legs which was just good enough to run position lights. With your technology, it could probably run your LED position and strobe lights but not a transponder.

Ummm...

That comment was in reference to having a transponder on. My '41 T-craft had a wind driven generator mounted down between the legs which was just good enough to run position lights. With your technology, it could probably run your LED position and strobe lights but not a transponder.

OK, my bad, thought you were referring to lights as well.

OK, my bad, thought you were referring to lights as well.

No problem at all.

FWIW, I was looking at your lights on Friday. I would like to replace my lights with LED position and strobe lights some time. That would allow me to remove the strobe pack, heavy wires, reduce the electrical load, etc.

For now I'm good with my setup, so that expenditure will have to wait.