RV8R999

Well Known Member
Anyone try out any of the LED Landing / Taxi lights in the wingtip cutout configuration?

Yesterday 3 of my 4 MR-16 HID burnt-out - which I find strange. I was running them in Wig-Wag from a VP-50 which has a soft start-up feature. I saw a high-current warning twice and then they blew. The one light remaining still functions normally. I have two MR-16's in each wing-tip. One taxi and one landing. The taxi lights are paired and the landing lights are paired with each pair connected to a 18 AMP pin on the VP-50. Typically with both taxi and landing lights on I see 26 AMPs of the 36A available for these two circuits.

Odd to have 3 lights burn-out simultaneously. I have not yet been able to check the ckt with a volt meter but will do so.

How reliable are the MR-16s? I turn them on in Wig-Wag mode during pattern work on every flight so I probably would estimate about 15 hours of use on each bulb to date.

For those with LED lights how do you like them?

Thanks,

Ken

Are they "older style" from duckworks? I had one go, and duckworks replaced both because he said they had some issues with them... if that's where you got 'em you may wanna check with them. the new ones had different looking reflector (smooth, not that typical MR-16 "diamond cut")

Thanks Dan!

I just purchased 4 P7's and Reflectors and sent an email to the manufacturer of the drivers. Hopefully I can purchase those pretty quick as well as they didn't have a means to purchase direct from the website.

Ken

Ken,
The drivers are cheap; get an extra. I got one which was very noisy RF-wise and had to throw it in the trash. Burnt up another by connecting with the polarity wrong. Such is experimenting :eek:

I was going to buy 8 (2x). Did you buy direct or do you know of a supplier? I sent them an email so hopefully I'll get a response soon.

thx,

Ken

Driver is built into the base....it's a flashlight drop-in. Order a few and try them. The only risk is RF noise, which you can check in the shop with a handheld. If they're noisy, give them to friends for Maglight conversions.

I see they are rated 3.7 to 8.3 volts. What to do to drop from 14 Volts, run them in series? :confused:
Oops! Edit! I back tracked Dan to LED Lighting products and took a moment to learn about constant current LED drivers...
This has so much potential. I was really put out by the weight of HID systems.

Last edited:
MR-16's

I have these in my RV-7 and they are great for taxing but not so good for lighting up the runway except just beside you.
They are also very noisy and will kill your radio reception unless you are close to the tower or ground transmitter site. They also can be operated using a turn signal flasher for recon lites day or nite. They work well from 10 volts to 15.

Noisy MR16 LEDs

I recently fitted 4 x 6 watt MR16 LEDs into the Vans Wing Tip lighting kit fittings (used a single 50W halogen for test phase) and thought all was OK as no interference on my Funkwerk ATR833 COM or FlightCom 403 intercom. Up to the problem flight I had not seleceted a radio frequencey greater than 126.00 then I selected 129.9 and lots of white noise. I eventually found out it was the MR16 LEDs that I use for recognition not night flying as Day/VFR only in the UK. I contacted my avionics dealer and he said the radio had been modified for better RF resistance and asked me to contact another dealer for ferrite rings.

Today I tried out the ferrites as close to the noise source (LED's) but they made the matter worse as the noise now occurs above 125.0 so I have removed the ferrites and seek further advice as the dealer is away on holiday.

Except the MR16's (grounded at wing tip rib) all the aircraft wiring uses a single point ground bus at the firewall. The wiring to the wing tip is not shielded and I will not re-wire it - I'll go back to low wattage halogens if necessary (wired for LED's not the Vans 75W haogens). The antenna cable is RG-400. I have no noise issues with the NAV/Strobe LED's. Any suggestions please?

Bob Ellis
www.rv-8.co.uk
G-JBTR having a new lease of life with this wonderful aircraft.