Steve,

Interesting find! As a point of reference, a 4" x 4" LED light fits nicely in the wingtip of my RV-7 (new style non-swept wingtip). It looks like there could be enough room to install the DDM Tunning 3.3" x 5" LED lights. Here's a pic of my installation to give you a better idea:

DSCN2939.JPG

Since the DDM LED's are shorter, they could probably be installed closer to the tips.

Sounds like a fun project! Get 'em and lets get some real-world performance feedback!

Looks very impressive and very cost effective. I'd be interested to hear how they perform. Also, whether it would fit in a duckworks leading edge installation. I've cut my wings for two duckworks LE lights but I'm holding off buying the lights themselves exactly because of this- The cost of LEDs continues to fall.

LED Landing Lights for $40

I agree, the lights are priced right. I was recently trying to figure out how many lumens equal a 100 watt bulb candle output. I know there are many variables involved, but the average seemed to work out at approximately 1600 lumens equals 100 candles. Not scientific but it does give a reasonable plus or minus comparison. Based on this 1800 lumen number these LEDs look like a good deal. Now to determine which is better for our intended use; spot, 30 degree spread, 60 degree or 120 degree, decisions decisions. Dan

I agree, the lights are priced right. I was recently trying to figure out how many lumens equal a 100 watt bulb candle output. I know there are many variables involved, but the average seemed to work out at approximately 1600 lumens equals 100 candles. Not scientific but it does give a reasonable plus or minus comparison. Based on this 1800 lumen number these LEDs look like a good deal. Now to determine which is better for our intended use; spot, 30 degree spread, 60 degree or 120 degree, decisions decisions. Dan

Standard 4509 aircraft landing light bulb specs are -

110,000 candle power

12 degrees horizontal spread

6 degrees vertical spread

To get lumens to candle power needs the beam size.

From someone else's calculations - not verified...:)

For a 10 degree beam

1800 lumens is about 75,000 candle power

ADDED

This data sheet gives a 10 degree beam and 1570 lumens as 49,000 candle power

http://www.rigidindustries.com/Dually-LED-Light-Spot-p/dually-sp.htm

Interestingly it's a mix of data sheet numbers - the lumens - and measurement - the candlepower

The lower measured number sounds like it accounts for losses from the theoretical LED output.

For a quick approximation, a 20 degree beam would have 1/4 the candle power of the 10 degree beam for the same LED output.

Last edited:
Pair these with a good/cheap/quiet Wig-Wag controller, and man what a deal.

At that price, you could afford to try and see. Nice find.

Thats pretty interesting. I've long thought that the aviation LED's are criminally overpriced.

Thats pretty interesting. I've long thought that the aviation LED's are criminally overpriced.
"Avaition" is like wedding or funeral, you add any of these two words to a set of flowers or cake, then two zeros gets added to the original price.

I just ordered two 5" modules.

They are back ordered till December. When these puppies land in my mail box, I'll fire them up and issue a pirep.

Spot or flood

Are spots and floods backordered till December? Wouldn't a spot make a better landing light? Just sayin'.

Last edited:
There 8" module is listed at 3600 lumens, I wonder if that would fit in a standard duckworks leading edge mount (blank install kit)?