fl-mike

Well Known Member
Okay, for you folks that have been flying a bit; which do you prefer, leather or cloth seats?

I'm leaning towards cloth because I seems that they would be more comfortable in the heat of the south, but I worry about staining and wear.

Leather is more $, but man, they do look NICE. I'd hate to cover them up with a sheepskin if they were too hot.

comments?

I used a good velour in a pewter color. It stays very clean, even through foot traffic getting in and out. It wears very well and is comfy in both warm and cold weather. I do love the look and feel of leather, though. If I have AC in the plane, I'd do leather. All my cars have leather. But since I don't, the velour is fine. I used a fabric that was from a Buick Roadmaster (according to the swatch).

If I ever redo my interior, I may do leather. Now this was real helpful for you, wasn't it? ;) :D :) :confused:

Roberta

Velour

I agree with Roberta.
You can sit on Velour on the hottest days in shorts with out frying; as you do with leather.
I did use leather. But that's for my grandson's Mars Bars and Coke.
Pete.

Leather for me

I really went back and forth on this one on the RV-10 but decided to go with all leather.

After 10 years, the leather will still look great.

Cloth and leather

Well you know, you can have both. It literally takes seconds to install and remove the seat cushions. If you are going to a show and want to make an impression on the judges just pull out the dead cow hide pads and put in the fresh and functional cloth ones (did I get that right?). Like everyone else that can afford to consider the choice I debated the two options. I got the upholstery video from GBI, had Becki O. make the seat pads and supply me the other uphostery and carpet material. I did my own interior following her video instructions and it came out great. I used cloth and it still looks new after a year and a half. Unlike Roberta, I did make up a step pad (small rug cut down, notched for the stick and edge closed) for my wife to get in with - I just step down to the floor without stepping on the seat myself. I might some day have a set of red leather seat cushons (back rest included) made up for quick change show usage but probably not. My show year is behind me. Functionally, (weight, ventilation, replacement cost, etc.) I think the the cloth upholstery is better for the bubble canopy application (RV-10 is not in this category) but what the heck if you were practical you probably wouldn't be building an airplane - go on and get you leather, it will be fine.

Bob Axsom

I've had lot's of cars in my life, and most of them had leather seats just because I really like leather. But I noticed a long time ago that the later model cloth and/or velour seats hold up a lot longer and stronger than leather (don't seem right, does it?).

Since the seats in a typical RV serve as steps into the aircraft as well, I'm gonna' use my experience and use a tight weave cloth, or maybe even velour.
I've also found that leather doesn't hold up too well to heat over time and gets real ugly when it starts cracking.

Of course, the nice thing is that whatever we do, just ordering new seat covers when the originals get worn out is easy enough to do. It's not like building another airplane or anything. Consider the seat covers a normal wear item and do whatever tickles your butt. ;)

Cost

Did any one mention cost. I am not a raw hide expert but I am guessing real good leather does not come cheap. Poor quality leather may not wear so well. Modern materials are very durable and cost effective, taking advantage of all the research auto chemical/textile engineers put into making these products. I am not sure about flame resistance, but we are not bound by that.

I have Aero Classic seats with the velor or what ever it is (Auto industry material). They are sporting a "grey" fashion statement and has a cool pattern in the middle and solid grey on the outer panels.

I have two cars and both have leather. They are getting old and both have some "distress" but they still look good, kind a like a worn leather jacket.

The deal is you will be stepping on you seat every time you get in and out. I am not sure how the leather will take that, but know the modern car fabrics can be cleaned with some spray on chemicals and rags. George

Last edited:
Seat Covers

I sent Abby the materials I wanted and she did my seats. I used a leather like white material with the center inserts in blue microfiber. The microfiber is cool and very easy to clean.

This has worked out so far. The warmest day I've flown in was 80 degrees. When it gets to 105 I'll let you know. The leather in my truck is NOT comfortable in the summer heat.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
RV-7 N717EE

Leather or Cloth

Bob's right, you can have both. What he didn't mention though is that you can have them both in the same seats. Mine are cloth in the center and leather around the edges. They are comfortable and look good also. The cloth ties the seats in with the upholstery on the bulkheads.

Regards,