Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
It's that time of year in Houston when we have day after day of winds and low scudding cumulus clouds - it's usually legal VFR by noon, but it certainly isn't very fun VFR, so the challenge is finding something interesting to do. This wasn't horribly exctiting.....but it was something!

I have leaned airplane engines many different ways in my years of flying - mostly by ear, pulling the mixture back until the engine gets rough, then smoothing it out a bit (or leaving it a bit rough if I really want to stretch the range, and can live with it!). I used th original primitive analog single cylinder EGT's (which failed all the time in rental planes). I've used multi-cylinder bar-graph displays, both the LED kind and the similar displays on EFIS systems today. But my favorite way to look at EGT's has got to be the "time graph" representation on the GRT EFIS!

Here you can see it in the middle of the display:
IMG_6570.jpg

This was taken after I had leaned, and the temps had settled down to "steady state". You can see where the temps started out low, then climbed as I leaned, and finally they "knee over" to the peak (or ROP, or LOP - whatever you want) EGT. It's not as pretty as usual - I was scudding along under the clouds at 1,000' in the bumps, and the engine doesn't really lean that nice in the thick air at 75% power. If this had been at altitude, you would have seen the four EGT's lay right on top of each other when the engine gets to the "sweet spot", with the digital temps being clustered within 10 degrees of each other. What has always been of interest to me is how far apart the temps are when the engine is running too rich - the lines are the same shape, but the temperature deltas are large.

To show how the graph works, I shot a little movie that you can find here. It's pretty bumpy, but if you've never seen this work, it will give you the idea.

Maybe it's just the way my brain works, but it is so much easier to see what the temps are doing and how the engine is leaning with the graph rather than bars, where I have to interpret the numbers. I think it is essentially an Analog versus Digital argument - the "analog" graph is easier to understand at a glance. It may work differently for others!

Anyway, this was about all I accomplished with the airplane on Sunday, and by the time I'd gotten back to the field, the rain was closing in, and I had to ride my motorcycle home in the rain....

Paul

Admiration, questions

Paul - always a helpful post. Thanks. You have some display options that I've been unable to figure out how to do, yet. Now I can work on it during the storms we'll have tomorrow.

Question: if LOP at 75% with a 180 HP you should be around 9 gph. Why aren't you, then? Not fully lean when picture taken? I guess that's what you meant. Do you find the SFC data accurate? Mine seems a little optimistic, gets down to about .37-.38.

Thanks for sharing.

Question: if LOP at 75% with a 180 HP you should be around 9 gph. Why aren't you, then? Not fully lean when picture taken? I guess that's what you meant. Do you find the SFC data accurate? Mine seems a little optimistic, gets down to about .37-.38.

The display in the still photo was taken right after I leaned after take-off, and since I was only at a thousand feet, I still had the boost pump on - and that biases the fuel flow about 1.0-1.5 high, so you'r actually seeing a flow of about 8.5. To make the video, I enrichened and then leaned again, and can't remember what the flow was, or if I turnd the pump on - I usually leave it on at low altitudes. When I get leaned out at cruise, I generally see sfc of about .40, maybe .39, sometimes .41.

Paul

SFC at 75%

180*.75*.4/6 = 9
180*.75*.38/6 = 8.55

Paul, let's exchange versions of the Superior IO-360 power table for the GRT:

Superior IO-360 180 HP
Power Table for GRT EFIS

RPM MAP 55% MAP 75% Altitude HP Delta
2000 22.0 27.7 2000 2.0
2100 21.5 27.0 4000 4.0
2200 21.0 26.3 6000 6.0
2300 20.4 25.5 8000 8.0
2400 19.9 24.7 10000 12.0
2500 19.5 24.2 12000 14.0
2600 19.2 23.7 14000 16.0
2700 18.9 23.3

Engine Type?

H,
Thanks for the engine data. I have an IO360 B1A. What is your Superior? I can't seem to find the right numbers for my engine configuration although they all seem to be in the ballpark. The graph that came with the engine is unreadable to get these numbers.

Paul,
I have been using the leaning function and run -50 LOP. I'll have to try using the graph feature, have not yet played with it. Do you find this easier than the leaning function?

Paul, try using the "Lean Function". You start out in that mode and as you very slowly lean it keeps track of which cylinder peaks first. Keep leaning until it tells you -40 - 50 and you are there running LOP. Your fuel burn will be lower. Heck, I can get my IO-540 down to 9 GPH, you should be lower than 8 GPH.

Paul, try using the "Lean Function". You start out in that mode and as you very slowly lean it keeps track of which cylinder peaks first. Keep leaning until it tells you -40 - 50 and you are there running LOP. Your fuel burn will be lower. Heck, I can get my IO-540 down to 9 GPH, you should be lower than 8 GPH.

For the way my mind works (very visual), I find the graph to be the easiest and most simple to use. I'm sure it is different for different people - I was just trying to show a function that few folks have seen.

I have used the leaning function as well, and it didn't offer much improvement - I generaly get 8.0 - 8.1 gph at 75% , so I am quite happy. That, BTW, is a full .5 gph (or more) better than the Lycoming power charts. I wasn't trying for the "ultimate lean" here guys - I was just trying to demonstrate the function, shoot some video, and kep clear of clouds at the same time...;)

Paul

I get it. That is a nice set up BTW, I have not seen the GRT EFIS in action.

Paul, you needed to add a little left rudder, you were slipping. ;) (Just giving you a hard time:eek:)

Last edited:
Interesting, different strokes for different folks. I've never found the graph that useful for the space it occupies. I use the lean function most of the time because it is instantaneous.

Something you have probably done already (in case you are looking for something to do) is to create a table of different fuel flows for LOP operations at different altitudes and different throttle settings.

I charted "best economy", "best range", and "best speed" fuel flows for each altitude between 4500 and 10,500. That way I can just pull out the chart, set MP, RPM, and FF for the altitude I'm at and I know I'm at 50 dF LOP.

My Superior

H,
Thanks for the engine data. I have an IO360 B1A. What is your Superior? I can't seem to find the right numbers for my engine configuration although they all seem to be in the ballpark. The graph that came with the engine is unreadable to get these numbers.

My Superior came with a graph, too. I derived these numbers from it. Painstakingly. It's an IO-360 Plus, 8.5 pistons, 180 HP, set up for C/S but using FP. I couldn't get Superior to tell me the data in the form that GRT wants it.

Some numbers don't seem right to me

180 HP, 75%
SFC GPH
.38 8.6 very lean
.40 9.0 lean
.43 9.7 peak
.50 11.3 75 degF rich

These SFC values are from the Superior manual and I used an even 6.0 pounds per gallon. If anyone says he's doing better, then I'd like to know how?