Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
I just put a freshly-overhauled MA-4SPA on my O-320. After runup it seems the gasket between the two halves of the carburetor is leaking, a wet area can be seen on the carb bowl below the gasket near the accelerator pump. Doesn't seem like it is leaking much -- hard to say since there often seems to be fuel on the top of the airbox from poor vaporization at start and idle -- but is still a bit worrisome.

Looking at my old carb, there is also a small fuel stain in the same spot. Thoughts?

Obviously, if you have a fuel leak, it needs to be corrected before you fly. I've never seen a fuel leak in any of my carbs. If it was just overhauled, there may have been a problem in assembly. If you had a shop do the overhaul, let them take care of it. If you did the overhaul, then you know how to put in a new gasket. Maybe get a tech counselor to look over your shoulder. I'm pretty sure this is not normal.

Scott

Float?

I know it's a little different with tailwhackers since the bowl is tilted when parked, but a leaking bowl gasket usually signifies a float valve shutting off too high. Provided it doesn't drool constantly. That's a stuck/sunk float or bad valve/seat.

This carb was overhauled by Volare in NC, purchased through Aircraft Spruce. Unfortunately they seem to have no web presence so it's not easy to contact them.