painless

Well Known Member
To those that have used Van's capacitance senders:

I have discovered via testing my tanks that the only leak I have is coming from the center lead of my BNC connector for my capacitance senders in one tank. :(

Anyone else have this problem? Short of digging the access panel off (you guessed it...no cork....just prosealed on), is it possible to use Loctite 290 here? I have heard that it can be used to seal up leaks elsewhere in the tank.

My plan is to inject just a dab using a very slender syringe needle and apply a slight vacume to the tank.

If all else fails, I'll reluctantly get that access panel off and replace the BNC connector.

Regards,

leaky BNC

We experienced the same thing on one of our tanks and fixed it by removing the access panel and prosealing the wire connection on the BNC. This solved the problem.

Philip Mercier
RV-7A RV-4

Jeff,

Why did you choose to forego the cork?

Personally, I would try cutting the pro seal under the access panel with a plastic knife. I heard somewhere that those disposable plastic knives cut the proseal but don't scratch the aluminum.

I am gooping up my BNC's this week! I guess that I will hit 'em hard!!!

:eek: CJ

Yep

painless said:
To those that have used Van's capacitance senders:

I have discovered via testing my tanks that the only leak I have is coming from the center lead of my BNC connector for my capacitance senders in one tank. :(

Anyone else have this problem?

Had mine leak after 500 hours.
Removed center pin and pulled wire straight through connector and prosealed. You will never solve this problem w/o removing the cover plate.
As a rule, you need to seal from the inside out. Patching from the outside USUALLY does not hold for long. The use of cork/no cork is of no concern. Pry the plate off. Do not concern yourself about scratching the aluminum. Scratched aluminum is good for the next application of proseal.
Best
Kahuna

John:

I suggest that you consider Kahuna's fix by just running your wire out the end rib and prosealing it real well in place. I would roughen up the insulation a tad to enhance adhesion tho. Much simpler in retrospect.

If you are committed to the BNC, by all means. slobber the heck out of it on the inside. Also make sure you run some proseal along the wire inside for at least 3" away from the BNC connector.

After considering the alternatives, I am going to get that access panel off. I tried peeling some of the xs proseal off and it came off fairly well. Upside is that I just prosealed the access panels on, so the proseal is still rather flexible and "fresh"

Regards,