dweyant

Well Known Member
My frustration level is through the roof right now...

I can't not seem to get several leaks in my 14a fuel tanks patched.

I have cut the access holes in the back, and added pro-seal, but still have two rivets that leak, and a spot on the inboard stub rib that makes no sense.

I have cut the access holes, patched the leaking area, etc. but they still leak. Any ideas?

This is pretty close to holding me up on finishing the plane.

-Dan

Here is one of the leak. This is the bottom, IMG_0854.jpginboard.

-Dan

Dan,

As that specific rivet is on the outside, easy fix. Drill it out, fill the hole with proseal and set a new rivet. I’d enlarge the hole to use a flush 1/8” rivet.

For weeping rivets elsewhere I have fixed some tanks by drilling out the rivet, going up to 1/8”, fulling the hole with pro seal and using a closed end flush pull rivet: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/blindcloseendomehdrivets4.php?clickkey=160827

No one has ever noticed the odd 1/8” rivet in the sea of 3/32” rivets….
Carl

Dan,

As that specific rivet is on the outside, easy fix. Drill it out, fill the hole with proseal and set a new rivet. I’d enlarge the hole to use a flush 1/8” rivet.

For weeping rivets elsewhere I have fixed some tanks by drilling out the rivet, going up to 1/8”, fulling the hole with pro seal and using a closed end flush pull rivet: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/blindcloseendomehdrivets4.php?clickkey=160827

No one has ever noticed the odd 1/8” rivet in the sea of 3/32” rivets….
Carl

Thanks Carl, I’ll give that a try in the morning.

-Dan

I would open up the tank again and apply type A brushable sealant around the region of the leaks. The most effective seal is from the inside, like an inner tube, before anything reaches the rivets. I don't personally believe in the short cut hacks and would rather put in a bit of effort to get a reliable seal.

My frustration level is through the roof right now...

I can't not seem to get several leaks in my 14a fuel tanks patched.

I have cut the access holes in the back, and added pro-seal, but still have two rivets that leak, and a spot on the inboard stub rib that makes no sense.

I have cut the access holes, patched the leaking area, etc. but they still leak. Any ideas?

This is pretty close to holding me up on finishing the plane.

-Dan

I have resealed a few. You have to carefully follow the potential leak path, which can be quite long. Fuel can find a way into the rib/skin seam at a sealant failure point and travel quite a ways only to finally come out at a rivet with poor sealing. My suggestion would be to reseal in increments of full bays and must seal both sides of rib flange when dealing with rivet leaks. Better yet a complete covering with A sealant. ALL resealing requires very carfull cleaning and prep.

Last edited: