Terry Lutz

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am planning some maintenance on my next trip home, and one thing I want to solve is a leak where the brake line fitting goes into the resevoir at the firewall. The nylon fitting is leaking where it screws in. When I last looked at it, it was able to turn it in by hand another 3/4 turn and it felt "soft". Anybody have advice about replacing it, in particular with brass or another nylon fitting? Any part numbers that work better than others? I saw something about this a month or so ago, but as usual, I can't find it now. Thanks.

Remove It

Terry, several builders have the individual reservoirs on the brake master cylinders. This removes the firewall reservoir and associated plumbing as well as potential leaks.
Aircraft Spruce stocks the A-600 reservoir that works well.
Good luck.

Randy Hooper

Replaced Reservoir Fitting

Terry,

The fitting was leaking on my 9A so I replaced the plastic fitting with an aluminum fitting and replaced the plastic lines to the pedals with braided lines. Haven't had any leaks since.

If you do this you must have someone with a wrench on the reservoir when tightening the aluminum fitting. The welded strap on the reservoir is not strong enough to handle the torque. Ask me how I know.:(

Nylon creeps; it's just a very viscous liquid. What once was tight on my master cylinders started leaking as yours and the fittings spun out effortlessly. I'm using the cans, but that is only good on single brake installations. The reservoir must be higher than the arching interconnect lines from copilot to pilot. In this case use metal fittings and metal lines or tube inserts.

John Siebold

Terry:
Dave Pohl has the part numbers you need for both the resevoir "t" fitting as well as the braided lines and master cylinders. Send him a PM, I believe he's on a ladder painting the exterior of his house today and would appreciate a reason to come down.
Terry