aarvig

Well Known Member
This is a topic that has generated much confusion amongst RV builders as evidenced by the many threads about assembly difficulty. After talking with the folks at Vans and redoing my leading edge skins I have come up with a fool-proof approach to assembling the skins to the ribs that doesn't involve swearing, bloodshed, or thoughts of quitting building. The directions are as follows:
1.) Gently round the leading edges of the ribs. Run the leading edge ONLY (the notched parts at the front of the rib) over a scotch brite wheel followed with smoothing out using 320 grit sandpaper on a sanding block followed with a run over the entire flange with scotchbrite.
2.) Flange all ribs to EXACTLY 90 degrees and make SURE the holes are aligned.
3.) DO NOT PUT THE SKIN IN A CRADLE AS THE INSTRUCTIONS STATE!!!
4.) Lay skin flat on table with bottom side down.
5.) Gently push the skin open to relieve only the slightest amount of bend tension.
6.) Install a cleco in the forward most hole on the BOTTOM of the rib. Put the cleco through FROM THE RIB SIDE.
7.) Do this for each rib.
8.) Now install a single cleco in the top side forward most hole.
9.) Gently push the rib into place and install the next two clecos on the top side of each rib.
10.) Flip skin over and install two more clecos in each rib on the bottom.
11.) Now remove the forward most lower cleco and install it from the skin side through the rib.
12.) Now, install two more clecos in each rib on the top side.
13.) Flip and install two more clecos in each rib on the bottom.
14.) Repeat until complete.

This took me a half hour to cleco each leading edge/fuel tank section. It was easy. Using this method, no force was required to assemble the leading edge. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. PM with questions!:D

I wish I had those 14 steps

Back in the days (2007) we did everything per construction manual. These new builders are so lucky they have all the easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy methods :D

Nice job Aaron keep the pressure on...

Back in the days (2007) we did everything per construction manual. These new builders are so lucky they have all the easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy methods :D

Nice job Aaron keep the pressure on...

Vlad, it was guys who braved the way "according to the manual" that brought about this knowledge:D
Thanks for the continued encouragement! I appreciate it. Next time you are in my neck of the woods (KANE) give me a ring. I noticed that on your recent travels you came close! I love the trip reports, they make me smile everytiime!

I have come up with a fool-proof approach to assembling the skins to the ribs that doesn't involve swearing, bloodshed, or thoughts of quitting building.

Clearly, you are doing something terribly wrong with this method. No way this could work.... ;-)

Thanks for the description of your process. I remember the initial frustration getting everything to go, but once I did, it all was lemon-squeezy-easy. It's all part of the learning process; thanks to you all the others that came before to help the noobs over the hump.