GrayHawk

Well Known Member
I am hoping someone here has a response on this.

I am looking for an LCD monitor to use for several reasons, sort of like my own MFD. The general specifications are:
-10.4" display
-Sunlight readable 1000 nits +, hopefully with LED backlight
-12-14V DC power
-touch screen overlay
-1024x768 resolution
-262K colors +
-controller board capable of DVI, VGA, CVBS(video) inputs
-panel mount (open frame)

Does anyone know od a source or sources?

Thanks

LCD

Do a Google search, PLC Touch Screen, EZ Touch and Automation Direct
are a couple sources that come to mind.

Do a Google search, PLC Touch Screen, EZ Touch and Automation Direct
are a couple sources that come to mind.
I appreciate the response but almost all of the ones cited are low in brightness (300-400 nits) and or do not even come close to the specs I cited.

Believe me, I googled til I was blue in the face before posting here. I'm looking for someone who can get me past that stage.

Thanks

http://partsexpress.com/ has quite a few kits to install in seat backs or hang off head rests.

While I haven't purchased these items from them, I have bought other items from them. They're a very responsive vendor.

bob

Repeating the specs once again:

I am looking for an LCD monitor to use for several reasons, sort of like my own MFD. The general specifications are:
-10.4" display
-12-14V DC power
-touch screen overlay
-1024x768 resolution
-262K colors +

I have one of the 7" SkyView screens in my car for a personal project, which is 1200+ nits and generally considered to be great in the sun. In the car, I have a high quality, glass, touchscreen over it. It really, REALLY hurts the visibility of the screen in the sun. You may be dissapointed.

These guys supposedly sell what you want, but I have never used them, I have just heard of them over the years:

http://www.avionicslcd.com/10.4_LCD_XGA/10.4_LCD_screen_XGA_panel_cockpit_flight_deck_avionics_display.htm

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Engineer

I have one of the 7" SkyView screens in my car for a personal project, which is 1200+ nits and generally considered to be great in the sun. In the car, I have a high quality, glass, touchscreen over it. It really, REALLY hurts the visibility of the screen in the sun. You may be dissapointed.

These guys supposedly sell what you want, but I have never used them, I have just heard of them over the years:

http://www.avionicslcd.com/10.4_LCD_XGA/10.4_LCD_screen_XGA_panel_cockpit_flight_deck_avionics_display.htm

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Engineer

Thank you. Yes touch screen will reduce brightness & may have to do something different in that case. But that is the reason for wanting HIGH brightness to begin with.

I have been trying to communicate with avionicsLCD.com; but getting detailed information from them is proving difficult.

Thanks again

It's not the brightness drop you get due to a touchscreen. A good touchscreen drops only about 10% of the light, so your 1200 nit screen is still 1080 nits. The issue is that the touch screens have a certain reflectivity that makes ambient light a lot worse. You can see it even in the basic pictures of a touchscreen, where even in normal office light the screen looks a lot whiter with a touchscreen in front of it. It's also an issue that it adds another refractive layer between the touch glass and the LCD glass. You can get rid of that with optical bonding, but that is $$$.

Look at the pics here- the LCD area would look basically pitch black if there was no touch over it, but instead it looks light grey:

http://www.avionicslcd.com/10.4_LCD_XGA/10.4_LCD_screen_xga_+Touch_screen.htm

A good option may be this screen from the guys that do carpc stuff:
http://store.mp3car.com/Inelmatic_Industrial_Grade_10_4_TFT_LCD_Sunlight_p/mon-128.htm

--Ian

Sunlight Readable Display

I briefly communicated with a company in Taiwan - although they deal in large quantities, they agreed to sell me one off. I didn't follow through because I was still unsure as to what I was going to do. The individual I spoke with was [email protected]. The company information is:

WinMate Communication INC.
9F,No.111-6,Shing-De Rd., San-Chung City,
Taipei 241,Taiwan,R.O.C.
Tel:+886-2-8511-0288 Ext.215
Mobile:+886-988-000070
Fax: +886-2-8511-0211
http://www.winmate.com.tw

Thanks Ian, good information.
Thanks SR2500, good information also.

Still researching, maybe touch will get dropped.

I've done this project already

I bought 12.1 screen from a Taiwanese company. The effect of the touch screen depends on the type. I went with the SAW type because it transmits the most light. My screen is only 550 nits but I have never had trouble reading it except when the sun hits it just right and it reflects. It's not a brightness problem. It is the reflection. I tried putting an anti reflective covering on it but it screwed up the touch screen. Bottom line is that it really isn't that big of a problem. If you want an email PM me. If cost isn't a factor you can find what you are looking for from marine suppliers. Good luck. It is a big but satisfying (sts) project.

Repeating the specs once again:

-10.4" display
-12-14V DC power
-touch screen overlay
-1024x768 resolution
-262K colors +

have a look at http://www.msc-ge.com/en/produkte/dis/tft/44-www.html
there is a nice industrial display navigator.

we also built our own mfd type unit with a 6.5" hitachi 640x480 display and are very happy. i'd also vote against touchscreens. rather install a small touchpad, e.g. from www.ergonomictouchpad.com somewhere where you can rest your hand on below the panel, like a center console or just forward of the fuel selector.

rgds, bernie

The actual brightness in nits is not that important.
It is far more important that whatever light is created does not have to compete with reflections on the display surface from ambient light.
If you would have a panel that would not reflect any light at all you would be quite happy with as little as 200 nits in sunlight. You would be able to see the image just fine.
The trick is to have the right composition of touch screen and suitable anti glare and anti reflective coating.
The need for coating elliminates accustic touch screens and makes capacitive difficult - that leaves the traditional resistive types.
The types using a plastic touch screen overlay (usualy glass - plastic) are useless in sunlight.
Glass-Glass is much better.
Best is "inner layer touch". In this case the touch screen is glass-glass (good) but the LCD polarizer is actually the final layer. Of course this means a custom manufactured display that completely integrates the touch screen "inside" the display.
This method gives the best light transmission while reducing reflections to a minimum. There is only one extra layer of glass plus an extra layer of air.

Another option is to use an infrared beam based touch screen. In that case you can just use a normal display at the cost of a "rougher" resolution. This however can have some issues with sunlight.

Blasting your way through a badly designed display just by increasing the backlight is a pretty crude way these days. Just costs extra power and makes more heat.

Stick on films (we have tried them all) are pathetic. Most of them do a great job of cutting reflections but are nearly as good cutting the image too !!!

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I am hoping someone here has a response on this.

-10.4" display
-12-14V DC power
-touch screen overlay
-1024x768 resolution
-262K colors +

Does anyone know od a source or sources?

Thanks