Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
In mid June Sher and I will be flying the RV from Nor Cal to Lawton, Oklahoma for our sons graduation from Basic Training at Fort Sill. :D Is there anybody in the area with hanger space for a couple of days or a lead on where we can park under a roof? Also, does anybody have recommendations for things to see in the area?

Regards,

I am not from Lawton...but my wife grew up there and all her family is still there. Twenty years of visits to Lawton for Christmases, Thanks Givings and funerals should qualify me as an "experienced visitor" Lawton is an Army town and as such most of the dwellers are service people or retired or family of. In the town of Lawton you will find many pawn shops and used car lots. Your selection of motels is limited. There is a good selection of rowdy bars. Drugs and crime are a problem. My wife claims she, and her younger brother in Oklahoma City, are the only smart ones in the family...she got out as soon as she turned 18. I like to visit (as long as it is not more than for a few days once a year) and I spend most of my time riding around on the Wichita Falls Wild Life Preserve (you need a vehicle) The game preserve is about a half hour ride from town. It was built during the depression. One can fish or hike or just ride around (my favorite.) There are open range buffalo and longhorn all over and bighorn on the hills at a distance. Lots of hawks and wild birds. Prairie dog city and other points of interest. Binoculars are helpful. For lunch, you must visit "Meer's" It is a hamburger joint built at an old mining shack just out side the park. Famous huge burgers. It is also a real post office (tiny). Meer's has been around many years ...but unfortunately it has turned into a sort of tourist trap (many out of state license tags.) Riding around outside of the park is very scenic also....and you can ride up to the top of Mt Scott. There you can over see the whole area...including lake Lawtonka. You may take a ride to Altus Air force Base...about an hours ride...maybe you can see something there. Riding around Fort Sill is also interesting to me (don't know if still permitted) and on the fort grounds you can visit Geronimo's Cliff. He supposedly jumped off on his horse (poor horse) to escape from the U.S. Cavalry. You can not over fly Ft Sill nor the life preserve but there is a "corridor to cross over Fort Sill North/South. My comments regarding the town of Lawton and soldier is not meant as a criticism.....my wife is an "Army brat" Soldiers are both young and rowdy and that is what is there. The year round dwellers are mostly retired ex military and family... they are mostly fine people. The airport is controlled with a nice long runway. The FBO is friendly and there seemed to be lots of available hanger space on the FBO's big hanger. There is an airport at the fort...don't know if you can land there. My plans are to fly there this summer and visit my mother in law...remember...while flying in the area...the roads were laid out in mile squares???? Hope this helps...Ivan/Sugar Land, Texas.

Lawton

My dad is from Lawton. Meers has great burgers, and the seismograph is interesting. My grandmother (who passed 3 years ago at age 100) used to play piano there on Saturdays and I think there may still be a photo from the era still on the wall! Another place to look at is Medicine Park. It is a step back in time. Not much there anymore but it reminds me of the resort in the movie Dirty Dancing. It was probably quite the place once upon a time. Also, since you're from CA like me, no such thing as "no smoking." I have some cousins there and hope to get back someday. Its a place where folks still pull over for funerals and wait until the procession has gone by. Have a safe trip!

The others have already told you about Meers and the Meers Store (everything has a webpage now) with their great burgers. It's quite a drive through Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge to get there though. It's interesting if you have nothing else to do. I spent 7 1/2 years in Altus so I had time on my hands. If you want an evening in a nice resort you can try Quartz Mountain State Park north of Altus. It's a nice get-away, but that's all that's there.

Unfortunately, Lawton doesn't offer much. While you are on base you can visit Geronimo's grave and learn about why he is there. You'll probably get at least a bus tour of the base associated with the graduation if you wish to take it.

If you have time, OKC is worth a visit. It's about 85 miles from Lawton and has a lot of attractions. One worth mentioning in the Omniplex. I've been there several times and had a great time every time. My kids just love it, worth the visit for the aviation exhibit alone. Enjoy the day there then head for Bricktown for dinner. :cool:

It's probably going to be hot when you visit. Summer in SW OK can be a bear! If you can find a hanger, even if for overnight take it. You haven't seen hail until you've seen it in Oklahoma. I suspect you already knew that based on your request.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip. Give my thanks to your Son for serving our country!

Rat

Great place..did basic training and AIT there in the field artillery. Haven't been back since...didn't really miss it much there. Military town, and that's about it from what I remember. But then again, we didn't get out much!

Meers!!

Ditto on Meers Burgers! I still remember that and talk about it from 25 years ago! I also seem to remember they would bring a large slab of ribeye to the table and you could tell them how much to cut off for grilling!

I also remember watching everyone run out to their cars before big thunderstorrms, and put large towels and blankets over them to protect against hail damage!

The trees there (what few there are) generally lean in one direction. The old joke is that one day the wind stopped blowing in Oklahoma and everyone fell over.

Jeff
-8 wings

Thanks

Thanks for your responses about Lawton. We are excited to see our son, or should I say meet this young man for the first time. We can't wait.

Regards,