Darren S

Well Known Member
I just came back from a flight from Minneapolis, MN to Calgary. I hit bad weather around Williston, ND and had to spend the night in Garrison, ND. I couldn't reach Flight Watch much before the weather closed in. I was only flying at 4500 msl because the winds were less. Maybe this and weather left me without anyone to talk to.

My iPad was useless too as it couldn't lock onto the AT&T network.

Enroute Flight Watch said Williston was VFR but by the time I got there it was IFR hence my 180 degree turn.

For Christmas my wife got me a Sirrus satellite radio receiver for the car. I haven't hooked it up yet.

I see the great value in onboard weather now and was wondering.....If I pay a monthly fee to Sirrus or XM, is there a way I can get inflight weather, listen to Satellite radio while I fly, and then take the receiver to my car so I can use it there too?

I have an Advanced 3500 EFIS in the -7.

Thanks,

Darren

Yes

I have a Garmin 396. It will require a more expensive subscription than just an XM radio receiver if you want weather and music. In the plane I use it for inflight radar, metars, and such, and can plug my Clarity Aloft into it for music.

I don't use it in my car as the car has a built in XM receiver, but I do use it in my motor home. I take a 1/8" double male plug stereo wire and plug it into the stereo in the motor home for music ( or talk, whatever you are into). There are road data bases available for the Garmin, and marine too. Works great!

Damon

Last edited: