4kilo

Well Known Member
Three and a half hours into a four hour flight, I heard a loud "pop." Looking around the cockpit, I discovered a six inch long crack in my canopy which ran from about two inches behind the canopy bow on the right side rail forward to the canopy bow itself (sliding portion of an RV-8). If this were not bad enough, a few minutes later, another pop heralded the appearance of another crack, this one starting about six inches aft of the canopy bow and progressing parallel to the bow about 18 inches to nearly overhead. The small crack did not open significantly or let any airflow in or out, but the large crack opened enough to let large quantities of very cold air into the cockpit.

I now have two problems:

1. I need to get the airplane back to Texas to permanently repair the canopy. I am currently thinking of stop drilling the big crack and securing both cracks with clear packing tape for the return flight. Other suggestions?

2. Once home, I need to repair the canopy. Because of the location of the crack, my feeling from looking at other threads is that repairing the present canopy will not be worth while. This means a new canopy, but I don't like the idea of setting myself up for the same problem again. Because I really prefer not to replace the windscreen and windscreen fairing, it is probably not possible to use one of the thicker canopies or to glue the new canopy to the frame. What do others think about this?

Thanks,

Pat

Hey Pat,
I would certainly be comfortable stop drilling and getting her home. With these cold temperatures, cracking does happen.

As for a canopy replacement, I hate to even mention it for fear of running the thread into the weeds, but glueing might be an option for you to consider. Search threads and done the flack jacket for stikaflex.

My recent coefficient of expansion differential test against my glue while airborn... OAT -14F, cabin temp at my shoulder 61F. Cracks none.

Cracked Canopy

Hi Pat,
I have to agree with Kahuna. Stop drill it. Don't believe it will be necessary but way back in my military A&P days, we would also drill small holes along both sides of the crack (as a shoe lace) and safety wire with a criss cross pattern.
As for the Sikaflex.....I'm convinced it is the only way to go. There is only one (1) hole in the whole canopy for the handle.
I delivered an RV-9A in 30 below zero temps from Florida to Calgary, 1 night with hard frost all over it, another night in Billings in an unheated hangar at 15 below.
From Florida to Alberta the canopy saw huge temperature changes. That sure does "prove" Sikaflex is tenacious and is un-affected by extremes.

Best Regards.....Joe.

Canopy Replacement

Order a replacement canopy from http://www.toddscanopies.com/

I went with a lightly tinted one on my RV-8 Co-Build and it was a work of art. Much thicker than the Van's canopy and had a guarantee not to crack.

I also Sikaflex the canopy and am doing so on my RV-7 build.