Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
So I got the packet of forms and info from EAA to register the (hopefully soon-to-be) aircraft.

I totally understand government paperwork, and the need for things to match up to keep the records straight...so the numerous references to "the names must match exactly..." that everyone talks about makes sense.

But...on the example forms they provide, I see both

Doe, John J.
and
John J. Doe

depending on the form, or even the box within the form.

Does the order matter? And what about the data plate? If both of the above are acceptable, which form must the data plate match *exactly* (that is, if I put Doe, John J. on that particular form, must the data plate also say "Doe, John J."?)?

Second...I know this has been asked, and it's okay to do it, I just want to make sure I catch it in all the right places...the serial number. I do not wish to use Van's rather arbitrary builder number for my serial number. Do I just basically ignore that number when filling out the FAA paperwork, and use the serial number I wish to on *everything*?

It's actually kind of exciting to even be *talking* about paperwork now, after years of building and buying and installing and such :)

TIA!

Steve

Not sure about the name, but you can use whatever model and serial number you like.

I know that. I'm only asking if, since the Van's documents will have some builder number like "12345" on them, this number needs to go anywhere on any FAA form, or if it can just be ignored.

A follow-up...form 8050-2, example form from EAA has the Seller block filled out *and signed* as "Kit Company" "Joe Seller" "President".

I'm guessing that with a BOS from Van's, this just gets left blank (obviously, the only part that I would be able to fill out would be the Name of Seller, Van's Aircraft, Inc., anyway).

First thing first. Phone Van's and ask them to send you a bill of sale. (8050-2)

Once you get that, go to the EAA package and follow their directions for the other items you need for Registration. (8050-88 and 8050-1)

All I can say is make sure you PRINT your name under your signature or they will send it back.

Once you get your 8050-3 Registration from Oklahoma City, use the name and everything else EXACTLY as it appear on that document. (expect it to be LASTNAME FIRSTNAME MI Be careful as some time the manufacturer may be missing the middle initial because the 8050-1 got filled out without it. The PINK copy of the 8050-1 is NOT acceptable for your airworthiness inspection and you MUST have your 8050-3 from Oklahoma City.

It is acceptable to put your name in order on the Data Plate but I recommend make it match the 8050-3. The FAA has been saying in the recurrent training class that it is acceptable that way BUT if the FAA ASI or DAR that comes out has not been to recurrent training lately, they could squawk it.

IF you fill out one of the three forms going to Oklahoma City incorrectly, they will send it back to redo. IF you fill out any of the paperwork that is needed for Airworthiness and it does not match the Registration 8050-3, you will get it back and need to redo it.

Thanks, Gary...I think I misunderstood something from the packet of instructions from EAA...*Van's* sends a completed 8050-2 (I don't have to fill one out myself)? That would explain a couple of things.

Thanks...

Steve

All I can say is make sure you PRINT your name under your signature or they will send it back.

Yep, I did that too with same result....doesn't matter how many times your name is printed elsewhere on the paperwork. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that only followed ALMOST all the instructions EXACTLY :)