skyfrog

Well Known Member
I?m just about ready to write that check and get started on my adventure building an RV. However, I have a few questions that were nagging me and I had to ask before putting down the money on a tail kit. I know I don?t need these answered just yet, but I wanted to have a pretty firm picture of my choices before the first order goes in.

First let me say what a fantastic resource this forum has been. The majority of my questions have already been answered. In addition this forum has provided a kind-of support that gives me an ?I can do this? attitude, and if I don?t know the answer, I know where to look for advice. Thanks!

After reading some of the heated debates on many topics, I realize the choices made are very much personal ones. So I don?t want to start yet another (e.g. tip-up versus slider) thread. I just have a few questions on my choices which are:

RV-9A ? QB ? Slider ? 320 (autogas 150hp)

Questions:

I like the idea of extended range tanks. I saw the thread on building extra capacity tanks in the leading edge. Is this something that can be done with QB wings? I assume this needs to be done from the basic kit, is that correct?

Has anyone considered using an extended range fuel transfer from the baggage area like the STC ones from O & N Aircraft http://www.onaircraft.com/ ?

I am currently flying a Grumman Traveler and use autogas frequently. However, I anticipate the day will come when all autogas has at least 10% ethanol. Are there any concerns with ethanol and the QB fuels tanks I should be aware of?

I was curious why the canopy cannot be partially opened in flight. I own a Grumman now and always open the canopy while flying. It?s very difficult to open at first but slides easy when the pressure equalizes. It tends to slide shut by itself. I will dearly miss this in an RV. Any possibility of a modification to allow this? (Note: my Traveler does an amazing 105 knots)

The center support for the roll bar on the slider does interfere somewhat with the view. I understand that the carbon-fiber canopy eliminates this, which would be nice. However I was wondering if the current center support could be replaced with support from the sides, like this /\, but with a couple of extra bends. Just a thought. I figure someone has considered this before and that it?s not practical.

I went to Sun-N-Fun but missed Oshkosh this year when I was shopping for kits. I?d like to see a 7 or a 9 to get another last look before ordering. Is there someone near KCOI (weekdays) or KVDF (weekends) that wouldn?t mind showing off their pride and joy. (Complete or not)

Thanks,

John Edwards
Grumman Traveler
Merritt Island, FL

For laughs, here?s my RV Decision Tree.

Why a kit vs. certified? Tired of waiting for my A&P to ?get around to it?.
Velocity vs. RV? I read a Velocity Builder?s log state he wished he?d built an RV.
Slider vs. Tip-Up? I own a Grumman now, I love sliding it open on a hot Florida day.
Tandem vs. Side-By-Side? Wife would always want to be in front.
RV-7A vs. RV-9A? Still working that one at the last minute.

Walk Towardsthe Light John....

Like many others already here in the RV world John, I loved my Grumman for two decades....it was hard to let go....but once you have flown the RV, there is no going back.... :D

Last edited:
I love my RV

Since I flew my RV9, I now understand why RV's are so loved. The 9 is so easy to fly, so docile to land ....makes me look good every time ( well almost). I donot need aerobatics ( well a wing over or so is ok) and just need a fast travel (150 kts) machine that is economical (320).

It is always hard to part with one's money.....I am no exception, but after the building it's done it seems very worthwhile and very satisfying. I believe that RV's are the only kitplane that you can get your money back.

The sooner you get building, the sooner you can fly. so stop making excuses for your self....It's a worthwhile journey for many of us and I am sure for you too.

good luck

Pete