istrumit

Well Known Member
OK - I think I know this is a foolish question, BUT...

I am headed to Miami this weekend and I am thinking, WHAT IF, I decide to just jump over to the Bahamas at the last minute.

Can I ?

I know the procedures, but I have not done any of the prep work (radio license, etc)...

Can that be done "on the spot" at an airport with customs or other services ?

My guess is yes, but I'll defer to those with more experience. You supposed to have 2 radio licensees: a restricted radiotelephone operators permit for you and a radio station license for the plane both from the FCC.

You also need a Custom's decal which according to the CBP can take a few weeks to receive. Don't know if you can get one from a local CBP office.

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/destinations/international-travel/bahamas

Last edited:
Yes you can!

I've been to the Bahamas several times. Yes, technically you need a radio station license for the plane, but I've never been asked to see it. All the Bahamas immigration and customs cares about is $$$ and getting the forms right. I only travel to the out islands so perhaps it's more laid back than New Providence Island or Freeport.

You need to buy a sticker and have at a minimum the receipt for the sticker. You do NOT need the actual sticker as long as you can show the receipt. Of course, you need to file an EAPIS manifest going and coming back and call Customs at least one hour prior to arrival at your AOE.

As to where to go, it depends on how long a flight you want and your budget, but I've always enjoyed going to Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros for a quick trip. Good luck. I love flying to the Bahamas

Yes you can. Like in the previous post, make sure you have ordered the CBP sticker and have the number (it will be on the receipt) otherwise you can't complete the E-Apis. If you haven't been to the Bahamas before, contact one of the FBO's there and pay them to hold your hand the 1st time. After that you can decide if you want to do it without them.

Most of all, enjoy the flight.

:cool:

You need to buy a sticker and have at a minimum the receipt for the sticker. You do NOT need the actual sticker as long as you can show the receipt. s

Can I by the sticker at that moment ? As in, online or at an FBO ? I am only asking in case I just get a whim.

As others, Yes you can.
Here's a checklist that will help you navigate the process.

http://www.bahamas.com/faq/checklist-enterleave

I currently have a Bahamas Flying checklist app I'm getting ready to send to the app store, but it's not quite ready for prime time.
It will include all checklist items as well as airport & contact info to all the airports, inbound & outbound.

Not much more to say here except, yes of course it is doable. The sticker problem can be overcome within a day, not at the FBO.

A jump out to the Bahamas is nothing more than a "Burger Run". Nothing much to get excited about in the planning. The sticker (and/or it's receipt), 12" N numbers for the return, eapis, and a stack of gendecs.

Can I by the sticker at that moment ? As in, online or at an FBO ? I am only asking in case I just get a whim.

I hear tell that you can buy it at the Customs office when you return, but I wouldn't advise that. I'd have it all done before you leave

Awesome...

Bought my sticker.

Anybody wants to head over to the islands on Saturday the 17th in N430WP (RV-10), I might be going ! lol

Scott

As to where to go, it depends on how long a flight you want and your budget, but I've always enjoyed going to Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros for a quick trip. Good luck. I love flying to the Bahamas

+1 on Small Hope. Great little resort and very GA convenient. Not a long trip.
Good scuba location if that's your bag. And Jeff Birch, the owner, can tell you everything you need to know about flying to and from the Bahamas.

I hear tell that you can buy it at the Customs office when you return, but I wouldn't advise that. I'd have it all done before you leave

No, you can not buy the sticker at a US Customs office. You can buy it via the web page. It has been this way for many years now.

Don't forget the 12" tail numbers and be on a flight plan (VFR or IFR) with a discreet squawk when returning to the US.

:cool:

Last edited: