ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Does anyone know why lasers are listed in the TFR pages in Aeroplanner? Who is using them? What are they used for?
Why do they even post them, it appears you can still fly through the warning area but may be hit by lasers even outside the warning area?
-Scott

The lasers may blind you so you want to stay away from that area. Additionally, it can look like a beacon when there is no airport arround.

Light shows

ScottSchmidt said:
Does anyone know why lasers are listed in the TFR pages in Aeroplanner? Who is using them? What are they used for?
Why do they even post them, it appears you can still fly through the warning area but may be hit by lasers even outside the warning area?
-Scott

Laser light shows at pop concerts, etc..... I guess just a general warning not to look down.... it would screw up your night vision.... :)

! ! DANGER ! !

Do Not Look Into Laser
With Remaining Eye

I was on a trip out east a month or so ago in our Lear 35, and while at FL290, we were routed around a Lasar testing area at 4:30 in the morning! :eek: 29,000 feet, and we still in danger of looking at it, and causing temporary vision problems if we looked at it. There was a TFR for this one too.

Other uses...

cjensen said:
I was on a trip out east a month or so ago in our Lear 35, and while at FL290, we were routed around a Lasar testing area at 4:30 in the morning! :eek: 29,000 feet, and we still in danger of looking at it, and causing temporary vision problems if we looked at it. There was a TFR for this one too.

Chad ... was this in the White Sands area by chance?

The other applications for lasers are military as well as light shows.... ;)

http://www.raytheon.com/missions/missiledefense/matrix/pdfs/dis/dew.pdf

gil in Tucson

Here in NM, several times a year, a local defence labs does a lot of very high speed communications with satellites as they fly by. They use a huge laser to get the bandwidth they need.

Guy

az_gila said:
Chad ... was this in the White Sands area by chance?
If I'm recalling correctly (it was 4:30am), it wasn't too long after we left Illinois heading east. I think it was someplace in western Indiana. :confused: