Barry

Well Known Member
I know someone who has purchased from Vans a Lycoming IO360 fitted with a Laser Magneto Ignition system for his RV7..
He assumes the engine was run on the Lycoming test stand with the Laser Ignition.
The question I have is should the Ignition system be checked with the special test box before the engine is run and before the plane is flown?

Barry

I had a LASAR ignition on mine. It's something he will need to know how to do, so why not learn now? There are examples of engines that had been run on the test stand that still had their timing way off.

It's absolutely critical that he read how to do it in the instructions. It is NOT the normal way and it is NOT obvious on first reading how to do it. We had 3 guys read it and 3 different opinions on what they meant! Hint: this is one of those instances where prior experience is actually a handicap:D

All Best

Jeremy Constant

YES

I bought my O-360-A1A through Van's drop shipped to me direct from Lycoming complete with the yellow test run log sheet with LASAR installed and indicated as checked on the log sheet. I did not check the timing and made several very dangerous flights trying to find out why I had to run the engine so slow to keep from pegging the EGT (only had one then and no CHT) and why I could barely keep the airplane in the air. Made contacts with Lycoming, Precision Airmotive and Van's - all were alarmed but the problem still had to be worked through. Van's rep said if Lycoming tested it you can assume the engine is OK. Well it wasn't OK. The timing was between 85 and 90 degrees before top dead center on the compression stroke in Cylinder #1 instead of the required 25 degrees. After I bought the LASAR timing box from Van's the first time I ran through the process I came up with exactly the same setting that came from Lycoming which I knew by this point was wrong. There is room for scanning the manual instructions and interpreting them incorrectly I found out as I went through the timing process again PRECISELY following the manual instructions and it worked perfectly after that. I race with the LASAR system and it has served me very well but there is a non technical-problem.

They are not being manufactured anymore! My sensor mag is starting to act up and I can't afford to be down during the racing season (currently 2nd place overall and trying desperately to hang on). I tried to go through Unison who was the original manufacturer by the way and got nothing - not even return phone calls from their technical support people that I left messages for.

Aircraft Spruce lists the mag I needed (4771) but they do not stock them, they are special order, no return items and there is up to 45 days lead time. I need one now so I asked for their source. Through Aircraft Spruce I learned that LASAR now belongs to:

Champion Aerospace at 864-843-1162. I spoke to Joe Logie who told me he is the man to contact at Champion for all questions about LASAR.​

He went to work for Unison in 1998 and was the product manager there. He came to Champion with the system when it was sold. He told me that they no longer manufacture the LASAR system and some components in the controller are so obsolete that they are no longer available. He added that they are about ready to produce a new electronic ignition but it is not available yet. He gave me a contact for getting replacement units from a company in Canada called:

Progressive Air Service and their phone number is 250-376-6226.​

I called Progressive Air Service and spoke to a very well informed man named Brad who said they do service the LASAR units but he did not have a 4771 in stock at this time. He gave me the name and phone number of a man in Illinois that has a stock of LASAR hardware:

Harry Senton at 815-566-2735

I called Harry and he said he had a new 4771 in stock. I ordered the Mag and mailed my check.

So in conclusion the system works very well when properly timed and timing is very important to do in my opinion before the first flight. Timing requires a special LASAR timing kit and I could not find one in the ACS website or hardcopy catalog nor in Van's website where I bought mine in 2004. I dug out my 2004 Van's paper catalog and it is listed on page 5 as:

EA T-300 Timing Light.

It is critical to have this unit as the replacement of a mag requires this unit to reset the timing.

My experience with the system has been good but my history shows the non-sensor mags fail after approximately 400 hours. Nothing else has failed yet but the sensor mag is showing signs after 800 hours.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Laser ign

Bob, Ihave an rv6 with over 800 hrs on the laser and a 7 with just over 600 hrs, the 6 has run without fault all this time. But The 7 sensor mag started giving me trouble (mag rpm drop)after about 550 hrs and I found a service letter from Champion that said from serial number XXXX to XXXX ( I don't have the paper in front of me) you must replace the cam. This applys to both mags. I will be back at the shop in the morning and can get the part numbers on the cam and point kits and will post them. Dave

Lasar Ignition

Many thanks to all of you for the replies I will pass the information on
If Dave you can post the problem serial numbers that would be appreciated
Barry

Barry,,,I'm headed back down to the city this afternoon and will get you the numbers,,, keep the faith. Dave

Laser ign

OK here it is,,, it is a slick service bulletin SB2-08B and calls for a mandatory inspection of all slick and Laser mags beginning with serial #0610XXXX through 0804XXXX. This also for any slick mag that has had the cam replaced between oct 1 2006 and may 11 2008. Anyway,good luck.

lasar manual

Does anyone have a copy of the owner's manual? I bought and RV6 with a LASAR ignition, but I don't have any of the documentation to go with it. Thanks!