DBentley

I have 355 hours in five years on my RV6, 0-360A1A with LASAR electronic ignition. I had a Sensor mag failure at 225 hours, and now another system failure (probable Sensor mag) at another 130 hours. This time, the LASAR system goes into the back-up mode and won't come out. Joe Logie - Customer Support at Champion (came from Unison) has been a great help. I confirmed that the timing is correct and the system is running only in back-up (cable from controller to a lap top). I sent the controller in to the factory - no fault found. It passes ATP. I then sent the Sensor mag to Progressive Air Services in Kamloops, BC. They have bench checked the mag and found the timing to be within specs. They opened it up. No obvious failed parts, but they can't evaluate the electronic system, and are left with the only alternative to replace the unit. The brush SB has been accomplished. Now the financials. A single replacement LASAR mag is 3X in price what it was three years ago - nearly $2000. I can replace the entire LASAR system with two conventional mags for around $1400. Looks like that is the way I'm going to head. Disappointing.

Duane
N515DB
West Chester, OH

After 3 Lasar failures in 730 hours, two in flight with momentary power interruptions, I ripped it out and replaced with dual Lightspeed ignitions. Very glad I did - I have almost 400 hours now on the Lightspeeds with no issues. Love the cheap, no cleaning necessary spark plugs also. Many go with one EI and one mag. You could do that for the price of the sensor mag alone.

Bummer to hear the LASAR failed, they really look like a good solution.

I was going to recommend replacing it with P-mags. There has been very little noise regarding these ignitions so either they have resolved their problems or people have stopped posting them.

Seriously, the 114 P-mags are really performing and they are easy to install.

I suspect that you will look at all the options and select the ignition that you feel most comfortable with.

When I get my plane back home this weekend, I'll send both P-mags in for inspection and you are more than welcome to borrow one (or both) when they come back. A few extra hours won't hurt them. Of course, mine are set up for auto plugs, you will have to check E-MAG to find out what you have to do to run them with your ignition harness.

Last edited: