NYTOM

Well Known Member
Is there anybody out that has the Lasar ignition along with a EIS 4000 engine monitor? Did you just tie the tach lines together for RPM data. That would be the brown Lasar wire marked Tachometer and the yellow EIS wire also marked Tachometer. My last motor actually had a gear driven Tach with a speedometer cable so this is a little puzzling to me. Anybody, anybody? :confused:

Hi Tom, I can't answer your question, but do have a"data point" for you. The LASAR Mags have 4 pulses per rev (vs two per rev on a standard mag). My (I think EI) single digital tach had to be sent in to be modified to read correctly when used with a Lasar system (I suspect they just put in a diode to cut the number of pulses in half). My tach setup used a Hall effect sensor under the mag vent cap. Maybe by using the brown wire, Lasar has already cut the pulses in half for you.
Just wanted to mention this in case you find your tach is reading double.....
GZ

Just a thought for you.

I have Lasar and GRT on my 10, and to use the EIS, I would have had to send it in to be modified.

Due to the fact that I expect the Lasar do die someday and not be able to repair it, I chose to not modify the EIS--------I installed the tach sender that Vans sells, mounted it on the firewall and used the short drive cable also from Vans to spin it.

No matter what ignition system I end up with in the future, my tach is not going to be effected by any changes in mags or EI.

Thanks Gunther. I'm going to try to research this again. Don't know who to call for the Lasar and my inquires to GRT haven't been answered. Their usually Pretty fast so I'm thinking they don't know either.:eek: I hate to button up my panel till this is cleared up. I guess the Lasar is a little more obsolete than I thought. :mad:

Mike to the rescue

Thanks Mike. No wonder I can't get any info. Since I don't really want to remove the EIS and I feel the same way as you about the Lasar, I'm going to do the same as you. Awwww, finally a solution. Thank you , thank you, thank you. :)

UMA Tach Sender Unit

I had POOR results using the LASAR tach RPM output with my OLD microMonitor. When I upgraded to the Dynon EMS D10, I added a UMA tach sending unit. IF I remember correctly, the tach sender required 12V power to go to it, ground, then had an output to the EMS D10. Since the sender works off the magnet in the mag, only one will be needed. IF the mag were to fail in a mode that it was still spinning, you would still have RPM reading.