rv969wf

Well Known Member
Is there an updated thread already started about the mods that Larry Vetterman and Monkey (Randy Richmond) did to their lower cowl exit area. I know of the thread that Larry V posted awhile back with pictures. Reason asking is I've got some ideas with my bird that might be a little different approach when I have the time to make a few glass parts. My cowl exit is much different at present than most RV's and it works, but I know that there is some tweaking that could be done to my bird to create less turbulent exit air at the cowl and to blend in the slower exit air into the airstream. I'd really be interested to hear some updates on the Monk and also Larry's. Thanks

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything more

I haven't seen anymore than the information Doug published in the VAF daily news a couple of weeks back (I think). Larry Vetterman said he was going to try to incorporate the mod using a standard crossover exhaust but I have heard nothing more about that. This is a fairly intensive piece of work however and he probably will not be done with it for a while even if he started on it at that time. I started a thread about his mod after I saw the photos and read his report. I want to incorporate something similar on my RV-6A but recovery from our ice storm has set me back quite a bit. I want to have it in place before the AirVenture Cup Race this July.

I hope you can participate in some of the SARL cross country air races this summer. The current schedule is listed at http://www.sportairrace.org under Calendar of Events. I plan on having my plane back in race configuration for the first on at Taylor, Texas on March 14.

Good luck with your cowl mod.

Bob Axsom

Here is the current entry list in Taylor 100 on 3-14-09

The following racers have registered for the
Taylor 100 Air Race as of 26 February, 2009:

Race # Name Aircraft Class

Race 74 Duncan Sutherland SX300 "Shadow" Sport

Race 158 Mark Frederick EVO Rocket Sport FX

Race 91 Bruce Hammer Glasair I TD "Red Dog" FX Blue

Race 26 Mike Thompson RV-6 "El Lento" RV Blue
Race 71 Bob Axsom RV-6A "Blue Bird" RV Blue

Race 004 Larry Schleinat Wittman Tailwind Sprint
Race 83 David Adams Long EZ Sprint
Race 90 Dennis Collins Lancair 235 Sprint

Race 112 Stu Morse Grumman AA5B "Tiger Lily" FAC4FX

Race 729 Chester Jurskis Bonanza S35 "Trixie" FAC1RG

Race 77 Jim Huff Bonanza "Whatabeech" FAC2RG

The first three are very fast and the field will give you a good spread to benchmark your airplane's performance with an official speed. All of the race results for the past two years are at www.sportairrace.org (although a link to the EAA for AirVenture Cup results appeared to go to a deleted page). I have the results plugged into an Excel spreadsheet that I can e-mail you if you like - you could sort it anyway you like.

Bob Axsom

Last edited: